• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

EX wife wants to sign 100% custody over to me!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdepronio

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

NYS - My e wife and I have bee divorced 5 years now, children are now 10 and 15, my ex had prepared her own divorce papers with her as primary custodial parent with joint custody and $25.00 a month in support - crazy right!

Since she had the children in the city schools and I moved about 12 miles to the burbs...

She stayed in the house and with that said I have paid $100+ a week and not the $25 a month amount

I have the kids two evenings a week and a full weekend day, with one of them week days nights being a sleepover every other week.

Now after 5 years and her abundance of boyfriends finally met a guy from another state who has now moved into the house with my children and the ex is now expecting a new child at 40+ years old

So her and her new man no longer want to live in New York State and want to move, children don't so she wants to sign custody over to me, great right but not that simple I have been living with

someone for 4 years whom never had children loves mine but does not want children nor should she want mine, so I will have to move out and find a place for me and the kids -

So the question is what is the process does she just sign them over? Should I let it go through the courts? I do want the kids of course but not going to bend over and take it like I have been all along...

I'mTheFather

NYS - My e wife and I have bee divorced 5 years now, children are now 10 and 15, my ex had prepared her own divorce papers with her as primary custodial parent with joint custody and $25.00 a month in support - crazy right!

Since she had the children in the city schools and I moved about 12 miles to the burbs...

She stayed in the house and with that said I have paid $100+ a week and not the $25 a month amount

I have the kids two evenings a week and a full weekend day, with one of them week days nights being a sleepover every other week.

Now after 5 years and her abundance of boyfriends finally met a guy from another state who has now moved into the house with my children and the ex is now expecting a new child at 40+ years old

So her and her new man no longer want to live in New York State and want to move, children don't so she wants to sign custody over to me, great right but not that simple I have been living with

someone for 4 years whom never had children loves mine but does not want children nor should she want mine, so I will have to move out and find a place for me and the kids -

So the question is what is the process does she just sign them over? Should I let it go through the courts? I do want the kids of course but not going to bend over and take it like I have been all along...
What the heck does that mean?? You must have agreed to the divorce settlement.

ecmst12

Go to court, get it ordered officially, and ask for child support as well. And good riddance to your girlfriend, for that matter.

Proserpina

I have more respect for her being up front about it, than a girlfriend who wanted to play SuperMom when it suited her.

At least she hasn't been feeding OP a load of manure, y'know?

jdepronio

Girlfriend not the problem!

The girlfriend is really not the problem, she shouldn't have the responsibility of full-time children...

My original question was - does the ex just sign over custody and it's done or should I seek out the help of the court and make sure due process is done, I actually could use a few months to get all in order, place to live, deciding on childrens schools (transfer or not) insurance's....she's going on Tuesday and I'm not prepared to have her just leave them at my door - she's leaving them not me.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The girlfriend is really not the problem, she shouldn't have the responsibility of full-time children...

My original question was - does the ex just sign over custody and it's done or should I seek out the help of the court and make sure due process is done, I actually could use a few months to get all in order, place to live, deciding on childrens schools (transfer or not) insurance's....she's going on Tuesday and I'm not prepared to have her just leave them at my door - she's leaving them not me.
Well - if she's leaving Tuesday, what is it you expect her to do with the kids if not leave them with you?

The two of you can have papers drawn up and filed with the court w/o going through hearings, etc. But stll - where do you expect the kids to be in the meantime?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">