• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex-wife wants visitation, but has been in drug rehab, help?!?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

enlightzen

What is the name of your state?fl.
my husbands ex-wife has been living all over the us and has now decided to move streets away from us. my husband is the sole custodial parent, visitation under his disgretion. The judgement was made and filed in Louisiana when they were divorced 8 years ago. Now she wants visitation. The problem is, she has been in and out of drug rehab, tried to commit suicide three times in the past month, which in the state of Fl. she gets citated each time and has to go to court.(filed under a "bakers act") We have tried to file a restraining order because she comes to our house occasionally wanting to take her daughter. The state of Fl. will not issue a restraining order, but every time she shows up at out house the police citate her and slap her on the wrist and tell her if she shows up again, she will be arrested. Can she go to court and file for visitation since everything was done in Louisiana? Will a judge issue her an order to allow her to take her only if for a weekly visit. Now she makes threatening phone calls, and sends letters in the mail. She does everything but send smoke signals to harrass us. I am a new mom and my step daughter is 12, can I do anything to keep her away or is this strictly between my husband, her and my 12 yr. old stepdaughter. We did allow her supervised visitation at the beginning, but as soon as she started that she went from an "A" student to a "D" student, we also notice a difference in her behavoir everytime she would spend only one hour w/her a week.

A

adonahee

How long has the child been a resident of FL?

And the mom? If all of you are now FL residents (over 6 months), then the matter is now a FL matter, in the county in which you are all residing. Why has she done besides try to see her daughter that would cause you to try to file a restraining order?

enlightzen

reply to adonahee

yes we are all florida res. We have tried to file a restraining order due to the fact of my husband's ex wife trying to take my step daughter off of the school bus, constant harrassment at our home, she shows up at my house often, and threatning messeges over the telephone and in person. It is in the best interest for the child not to be with her mother even for visitation only under the supervision of court. I also stated that she has been in drug rehab, and tried to commit suicide three times in the past month. It is a hazard for her to be in the same house or car with her mother, would you want your kid in the car with someone that is about to crack?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
can I do anything to keep her away or is this strictly between my husband, her and my 12 yr. old stepdaughter.
This is strictly between your husband and his ex.

rmet4nzkx

By trying to force her to have no visitation, it is making the problem worse and giving her excuses to do these things. Let her have her "court supervised " visitation, when she doesn't show up or if she act's up during the visitation then you have the court to back you up and she has no excuses. It is possibly less traumatic on the child to go to a safe place with supervised visitation, than having the mother continually showing up trying to get visitation. If she is in contempt of court, then the court will act. And Stealth2 is right, this is between the two parents. It is hard to sit back but that is what you must do, it is bad enough to be a power struggle between the two parents without more interference. If the mother is mentally ill, let the court do it's job so she can get treatment.

enlightzen

I completely understand what you guys are saying, believe me I do try to stay out of it. I am very close to my step daughter and I am concerned about her safety. It can be sort of hard when you live in a small area and my stepdaughter can't even go to school or a friends house without her mother showing up and making a scene. What are we to do when I am outside with my new baby and she walks on to my front porch threatning that she will go anywhere her daughter is and take her away. Thanks for the input.

rmet4nzkx

Have your husband go to court and get the visitation order modified and a restraining order, call the police when she appears anywhere in violation of the order and or makes threats. By allowing her "ONLY" court supervised supervision you will force her to either comply or be in contempt of court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">