• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The Ex wont let me see my kids

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justneedalittle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am the Father I live in Iowa the divorce was filed in Iowa, She lives in Wisconsin since 2000, the divorce paper state every other weekend meeting halfway 6 on Friday till 6 on Sunday or what ever the two can agree on because of the distance of the drive.
Because of school activities I have chose to go up there and stay at a hotel when they have a sporting event so the trips to Iowa keep getting less, I was only able to have the 3 kids this summer one week and no weekends the papers say 4 weeks, I want to know what I can do to see my kids with out a lot of troubleWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am the Father I live in Iowa the divorce was filed in Iowa, She lives in Wisconsin since 2000, the divorce paper state every other weekend meeting halfway 6 on Friday till 6 on Sunday or what ever the two can agree on because of the distance of the drive.
Because of school activities I have chose to go up there and stay at a hotel when they have a sporting event so the trips to Iowa keep getting less, I was only able to have the 3 kids this summer one week and no weekends the papers say 4 weeks, I want to know what I can do to see my kids with out a lot of troubleWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Well, you have the option of insisting on following the court orders and taking mom back to court for contempt if the kids don't visit when the orders say they are to visit. That would mean insisting that no activities take place during your scheduled time.

How old are your kids and how important are the activities to them? If they are little and its little kids activities that's one thing. However if your son is 16 and is the star of his baseball/football/basketball team, it might backfire on you to insist that no activities take place during your scheduled time.

justneedalittle

The Youngest is the most active in sports he is 12, I have a 15 year old and a 17 year old but the reason she is saying they cant come down is they are putting in a new septic tank that weekend and school is starting in a week and she thinks I will get the kids all messed up with my I quote "Its like the boys go to Grandma and Grandpas house nothing but play time you have no structure" end quote. I understand if there is an activity the boys want to do I never want to be in the way of their happiness, But when the Ex knows whats best because she is the Mom I get sick of not having anything I can do, For nine years I have never know when I would get to see the kids the next time or how long between visits she is always making the excuses of why it wont work, the ex and I have joint custody with placement with the ex.
an example, I had the kids at Christmas this year the next time I had the kids in Iowa was in May for a weekend and then in July.
anytime the kids have no activities she makes plans to do a "Family thing" or the Ex just tells me "we all ready have plans for that weekend"
I need to know how I can send a message that I want time with the kids too.

LdiJ

The Youngest is the most active in sports he is 12, I have a 15 year old and a 17 year old but the reason she is saying they cant come down is they are putting in a new septic tank that weekend and school is starting in a week and she thinks I will get the kids all messed up with my I quote "Its like the boys go to Grandma and Grandpas house nothing but play time you have no structure" end quote. I understand if there is an activity the boys want to do I never want to be in the way of their happiness, But when the Ex knows whats best because she is the Mom I get sick of not having anything I can do, For nine years I have never know when I would get to see the kids the next time or how long between visits she is always making the excuses of why it wont work, the ex and I have joint custody with placement with the ex.
an example, I had the kids at Christmas this year the next time I had the kids in Iowa was in May for a weekend and then in July.
anytime the kids have no activities she makes plans to do a "Family thing" or the Ex just tells me "we all ready have plans for that weekend"
I need to know how I can send a message that I want time with the kids too.
If you have a court ordered schedule then you can insist that you have the children on your scheduled times. If she doesn't comply, you can take her to court for contempt.

justneedalittle

If you have a court ordered schedule then you can insist that you have the children on your scheduled times. If she doesn't comply, you can take her to court for contempt.
Who do I contact if I live in Iowa and the Ex lives in Wisconsin, Do I need a lawyer or can I do it my self?
Thanks for all your help I feel so helpless and the kids grow so fast and I miss out on so much

LdiJ

Who do I contact if I live in Iowa and the Ex lives in Wisconsin, Do I need a lawyer or can I do it my self?
Thanks for all your help I feel so helpless and the kids grow so fast and I miss out on so much

You can do it without a lawyer. You would file in the state that has jurisdiction of the case...the same state that made the original orders.

You have to get the forms you need (usually from the appropriate courthouse) fill them out and then file them in person and pay the filing fee. There is nobody to "contact".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">