• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Exchanges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Erez Gewing

What is the name of your state? CA

I live in Northern California. I have a court ordered custody arrangement stating that I am to bring my son (age 8) to McDonald's at 3:30 on Friday so he can visitation with his Mom.

She just sent me an e-mail stating that she has enrolled in a class that is during our exchange time and that she will be sending a friend (whom I have never met) to pick up our son.

In the past mediation has never worked nor has it been possible to arrive at agreements outside of our court orders.

So, what are my obligations given that she will not be there to pick up our son and is sending someone I have never met and this is not stated in court orders?

Thank you!

ceara19

Erez Gewing said:

I live in Northern California. I have a court ordered custody arrangement stating that I am to bring my son (age 8) to McDonald's at 3:30 on Friday so he can visitation with his Mom.

She just sent me an e-mail stating that she has enrolled in a class that is during our exchange time and that she will be sending a friend (whom I have never met) to pick up our son.

In the past mediation has never worked nor has it been possible to arrive at agreements outside of our court orders.

So, what are my obligations given that she will not be there to pick up our son and is sending someone I have never met and this is not stated in court orders?

Thank you!
Does your court order specify that she be there PERSONALLY for the exchange or can a responsible adult be there in the place of a parent? I would be leery of handing over the child to anyone that the CHILD doesn't know. Have you looked into the possibility of meeting this person BEFORE the next exchange date?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What time is mom's class over with and what are the times of the exchange? Can you suggest shifting the hours of the exchange (instead of 4 to 7 say 5 to 8) to work with her so she is not shorted ANY time with her child -- that way it looks like a favor to mom?

casa

Erez Gewing said:

Thank you!
Unless your Court Order specifically states otherwise~ Mom (or Dad) can have a competent adult of their choice to pick up/drop off the child. (Do you introduce Mom to any/all babysitters or friends of yours which are around your children??)

This kind of nit-picking is probably why mediation has never worked for you two.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">