• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Experience with Ex Parte Orders

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LostWithoutHER

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I am looking to find out any advice dealing with Ex Parte Orders regarding custody and visitation. I have been in an ongoing custody battle for almost two years and am seeking help to resolve this matter. Currently, I am pro se. .representing myself. The defendant, child's father is represented by an attorney. Any advice and help is much appreciated. Thanks. Always.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

LostWithoutHER said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

I am looking to find out any advice dealing with Ex Parte Orders regarding custody and visitation. I have been in an ongoing custody battle for almost two years and am seeking help to resolve this matter. Currently, I am pro se. .representing myself. The defendant, child's father is represented by an attorney. Any advice and help is much appreciated. Thanks. Always.

My response:

Not really enough information. Please explain the emergency that requires an Ex-Parte motion and hearing.

IAAL

LostWithoutHER

More info. ...

Okay... a bit more to help you help me.....
There was not really an emergency. ..but what the judge considered to be an emergency was 'erratic behavior' at the school of the child in common. The accusations of erratic behavior were not true. .and could be verified byschool personel. When there was a said scheduled hearing, I as the plaintiff had subpoenaed the school principal as well as the counselor.. also my personal therapist. .and my other daughter's therapist. The reason for this was to prove. ..the accusations were not true. The judge would not even listen . ..he said 'this is not the time or the place' to talk to the people who I had subpoenaed. I'm lost in the whole system. ..the father basically comes up with really sketchy lies. .. and the judge listen without a doubt. .yet the judge won't hear anything I have to say. I was called 'ignorant' the last time that we were in court by the judge. Please help! !

LostWithoutHER

Not getting too much help here. ...

Hm. .. :confused: I'm not sure I am going to get any answers here. I am in desperate need of advice . .. ..not knowing how I should handle the situation. I can always explain more. .but am not sure in what areas I need to elaborate. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

CJane

Why don't you have an attorney?

I don't know how Michigan works, so I can only speak from my experiences, and those I've heard about from friends. But, apparently, the judges in MY state tend to look upon people who represent themselves in divorce/custody disputes as not taking the situation seriously.

My advice, as unprofessional as it is? Find an attorney.

LostWithoutHER

Hm. . single mom. .. three kids. ..

Okay. . so I have custody of two of my three children. I don't have an attorney, simply because in the beginning of all of this.. .I did hire an attorney. He did absolutely nothing for me. .besides waste my hard earned money. SO, that is when I decided that I was going to persue this battle on my own.

I agree. .. it seems that the judge is not looking upon me favorably. .. that I don't have an attorney, and the other side does. It has been difficult to raise the funds to do so . .. .being a single mom is not the cheapest thing in the world to do... with female children! to top it off.

casa

LostWithoutHER said:
Okay... a bit more to help you help me.....
There was not really an emergency. ..but what the judge considered to be an emergency was 'erratic behavior' at the school of the child in common. The accusations of erratic behavior were not true. .and could be verified byschool personel. When there was a said scheduled hearing, I as the plaintiff had subpoenaed the school principal as well as the counselor.. also my personal therapist. .and my other daughter's therapist. The reason for this was to prove. ..the accusations were not true. The judge would not even listen . ..he said 'this is not the time or the place' to talk to the people who I had subpoenaed. I'm lost in the whole system. ..the father basically comes up with really sketchy lies. .. and the judge listen without a doubt. .yet the judge won't hear anything I have to say. I was called 'ignorant' the last time that we were in court by the judge. Please help! !
Sometimes in hearings, it isn't the time for people to testify... Have you filed affidavits from those individuals so that their opinions and observations are part of the case file? The judge reviews the file prior to any hearings. It could have been that since it was a hearing and not a trial- the judge didn't have the scheduled court time to hear all your witness- especially since if they testify, the X has a right to question them.

Make sure you have everything that anyone who's relevant has to say- In writing in your file.

Some judges are simply just irritated by those who represent themselves, because it takes more of the courts time and effort. There is procedure overlooked, requirements not met, etc etc etc. The judge then has to decipher what you mean to do, without being able to give you legal advice and the whole thing takes a lot longer. Then the Xs attorney knows the 'system' and by using it effectively further frustrates your efforts- adding to the judge's frustration.

heartbrokenmom2

No Lawyer Then Run For Cover

:( :mad:

YOU NEED A LAWYER .... have you lost your mind?????? " You are entitled to an attorney if you cannot afford one!" hve you ever heard those words before.... i am sure you have you are to march in there next hearing and tell them you NO LONGER WANT TO PROCEED WITH OUT AN ATTORNEY... tell them you cannot afford an attorney NOR DO YOU UNDERSTAND YOUR RIGHTS WITH OUT AN ATTORNEY and you want an attorney they will assign you what they call an 18b attorney, every attorney that takes the bar has to do 100 hours of 18b work per year..... its better than not having any attorney..... and you need one badley i have been where you are and boy do you need help. the first step is understnadning whats going on and YOU CLEARELY dont.... no judge should call you ignorant the judge is suppose to remain neurtral, expressijng his opinion of the matters at end in judgement only, not during and not passing judgement on charachter that would deem prejiducial nor biased, it sounds to me thats whats happening ahve they done forensics, ???? have they analyzed you and him via clinically???? this sounds like mess the best advise GET AN ATTORNEY go to legal aid do something dont walk in there unarmed! you are givng your kid away dont you get it???? :mad:

Whyte Noise

heartbrokenmom2 said:
:( :mad:

YOU NEED A LAWYER .... have you lost your mind?????? " You are entitled to an attorney if you cannot afford one!" hve you ever heard those words before....
Uhmmm.... and do you know that is for Defendants in CRIMINAL cases only, and not civil litigation?

It's part of the Miranda Warning.

No court has to provide a civil litigant with an attorney. Only a criminal Defendant.

Yes, attorneys do pro-bono work (or 18b as you call it). However, that doesn't mean that they have to take on THIS case in particular.

OP, your best bet will be to contact the Legal Aid Society in your area to see if they can help you.

casa

In some places legal aid has a long waiting list- So I'd also suggest calling all pro bono attorneys, and Law Schools in and around your area.

LostWithoutHER

It is a MESS. ..

Yes. . .. I also understand that the courts will not appoint an attorney unless it is a 'criminal' case.. and this is 'civil'

I understand that I need an attorney.. ..but did not know that attorney's would represent someone 'pro bono'. .. I have not a clue how to find these types of concil.

I am not giving my child away. .. I am feeling helpless. I don't know where to turn... in this case, I have been evaluated.. . .but not a single other soul has. I have not had the option to choose which doctor is to do the evaluating, I was told who I had to see. I have to go back again, before the judge will hear any further info. I have asked for a trial, but the judge denies every request that I make. I don't understand how he can do this.

I have not a clue what affadavits are. .. and I am not sure how to get these people's words in writing. I have asked the school to provide me with something, and they refuse. .stating that an attorney has to request that information and they would be happy to assist. As far as the subpoenas, the judge had to sign them in order for those people to appear. .. and he did so. If it was not the time or place, it doesn't make sense as to why he would have even signed them . .. .making the people attend court for no reason.

I now can understand where the judge may have frustration of me not knowing the system or procedures, but.. . he still has no right or place to be biased. I have asked for the father, and his wife, and my child to undergo evaluations, and counseling.. ..and the judge denies. I don't get it. I have been pushed into the corner. . .and need to find my way out, and get on top of the situation. I have custody of two daughters. . of my three. They have a different father than my oldest daughter, that we are involved in the custody battle. If I am able to maintain custody of my two younger daughters. .. why isn't the judge seeing this? Did I mention. ..the judge just so happens to attend the same church as me and my children do. He has seen us in the community. .. and knows through observation what kind of mother I am. What am I missing? I just don't get it!

Ambr

Here is a Generic Affidavit Format

AFFIDAVIT
STATE OF [State] )
) ss
COUNTY OF [County] )

That on this [day] day of [month] [year], [name of person giving deposition] personally came and appeared before me [your name], of [city], [state], known, and known to me, who after being first duly sworn, deposes and says:

[Deposition Goes Here]

FURTHER AFFIANT SAYETH NOT.

SUBSCRIBED TO AND SWORN TO before me
this [day] day of [month], [year].

This is not a substitute for legal advice and it is suggested that an attorney be consulted.

casa

LostWithoutHER said:
Yes. . .. I also understand that the courts will not appoint an attorney unless it is a 'criminal' case.. and this is 'civil'

I understand that I need an attorney.. ..but did not know that attorney's would represent someone 'pro bono'. .. I have not a clue how to find these types of concil.

I am not giving my child away. .. I am feeling helpless. I don't know where to turn... in this case, I have been evaluated.. . .but not a single other soul has. I have not had the option to choose which doctor is to do the evaluating, I was told who I had to see. I have to go back again, before the judge will hear any further info. I have asked for a trial, but the judge denies every request that I make. I don't understand how he can do this.

I have not a clue what affadavits are. .. and I am not sure how to get these people's words in writing. I have asked the school to provide me with something, and they refuse. .stating that an attorney has to request that information and they would be happy to assist. As far as the subpoenas, the judge had to sign them in order for those people to appear. .. and he did so. If it was not the time or place, it doesn't make sense as to why he would have even signed them . .. .making the people attend court for no reason.

I now can understand where the judge may have frustration of me not knowing the system or procedures, but.. . he still has no right or place to be biased. I have asked for the father, and his wife, and my child to undergo evaluations, and counseling.. ..and the judge denies. I don't get it. I have been pushed into the corner. . .and need to find my way out, and get on top of the situation. I have custody of two daughters. . of my three. They have a different father than my oldest daughter, that we are involved in the custody battle. If I am able to maintain custody of my two younger daughters. .. why isn't the judge seeing this? Did I mention. ..the judge just so happens to attend the same church as me and my children do. He has seen us in the community. .. and knows through observation what kind of mother I am. What am I missing? I just don't get it!
Look online or in the phone book in your area/county for Pro Bono attorneys. Basically Pro Bono means at no cost. Attorney's typically spend x amount of hours representing people who cannot afford an attorney (in basic terms, a type of internship, if you will)

The fact that you have custody of 2 daughters is in your favor, courts do not like to split siblings.

An affidavit can be submitted...sometimes called "Declarations". You can find the forms at your local court house. It's basically a letter of their opinions and observations, signed by them and submitted declaring under penalty of perjury it is the truth.

Subpoena can be difficult for some, some find it easy. If you check your states Family Law Code online, and go to the court, you can find the forms for subpoena- You do not have to be an attorney to subpoena someone or information/documents...but as you've discovered, it's difficult to know what to do and when- when you are not an attorney.

If the judge ordered the evaluation- they likely selected an evaluator from a list of court appointed evaluators. Why they only had you evaluated is beyond me...what I typically see is that both parents and children (& sometimes significant others) are evaluated. What was the reason your X gave for requesting the evaluation? If the X said you were mentally unstable or abusive...and you did not allege any of that about him, that could be one reason.

What you can do NOW is get copies of your children's report cards, file then on your case. Get letters signed by your neighbors, family, friends and file them in the court file as well...so the judge can see and read what people who interract with you think of you as a mother. The judge will absolutely review any piece of paper within the court file.

The fact that the judge sees you in church is not supposed to impact his ability to follow the legal procedures involved in a custody case. He has parameters he must follow, just as you do.

Has the evaluation been completed? If so, what did the report say (If you got a copy of it) If it hasn't been completed and you are a fit parent as you say, relax a little bit. Evaluation is a frustrating thing...you are put on the defensive...many times it upsets people (In a way, it is the evaluator's job to 'upset' you- to see how you handle stress and frustration, and to see if you are logical and sane in your communications and actions).

LostWithoutHER

That is helpful. ..

Casa.. . and Ambr. I now understand better... 'declaration' I know of. I guess it was just the terminology. Do you know if I can have these submitted at any time? Will the judge have to look at these? Or can he do the same as when I had people subpoenad? I understand how to do that, it was a lengthy process, but I accomplished it on my own.
The reason for the evaluation is the father accused me of being unstable....so the judge ordered. There have been times I've had to call the police on him, for assaulting me while my children are with me, at pick up and drop off times. ... but once the police have arrived, he and his wife get their innocent faces on and lie so well, that the whole thing has turned around on me.
Everything I've said, or requested in court has been looked past or denied. That is what I don't understand. I feel like just because I am representing myself, the judge is taking advantage of that. I have not gone to the second evaluation yet, as I had to have a copy of the court order to show the doctor. I just received that in the mail, so now I am able to schedule that.
Is there a certain way to ask for a trial?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">