• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Exposed child to a sex offender

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MistyChere

What is the name of your state? OR

I've been divorced for 10 years and our parenting plan is the standard Local Rule. My ex has lived in Washington since the divorce. In no way has the parenting plan been followed. I have extended kindness by offering time and offering to meet half way. The visits happen about twice a year, 3 -4 days based on childs comfort. Recently I had information that a guest in his house is on probation for a sex offense and order not to be around children 14 years and younger. Before agreeing to the visit, my ex assured me that this person would not be in contact with my 13 year old daughter. When she returned, she told me the person had been there every day. My question is, since the parenting plan has never been used, but not legally modified, if I choose to restrict the conditions of visitation and he pushes it to be heard in court, wouldn't his lack of interest and lack of common sense be considered?

LdiJ

MistyChere said:

I've been divorced for 10 years and our parenting plan is the standard Local Rule. My ex has lived in Washington since the divorce. In no way has the parenting plan been followed. I have extended kindness by offering time and offering to meet half way. The visits happen about twice a year, 3 -4 days based on childs comfort. Recently I had information that a guest in his house is on probation for a sex offense and order not to be around children 14 years and younger. Before agreeing to the visit, my ex assured me that this person would not be in contact with my 13 year old daughter. When she returned, she told me the person had been there every day. My question is, since the parenting plan has never been used, but not legally modified, if I choose to restrict the conditions of visitation and he pushes it to be heard in court, wouldn't his lack of interest and lack of common sense be considered?
ARG!

Dad is being a fool. Not only for your child's sake but for his guest's sake as well. His guest's probation could be revoked for being around your daughter.

Since you say that the visits are only twice a year, I would wait until the next visit rolls around before deciding what to do. His guest may be gone by then so it may be a moot point.

If the guest isn't gone, then tell him that you know that your daughter was around his guest illegally, and that if it happens again you are going to be contacting the police.

Just Blue

MistyChere said:

Sorry no legal advice....but JHC! what the hell is he thinking of!? Like the world isn't dangerous enough ....Dad has to invite the perverts into the house and meet the kid!
Good Luck Misty...

MistyChere

Previous issue with same person

LdiJ said:
ARG!

Dad is being a fool. Not only for your child's sake but for his guest's sake as well. His guest's probation could be revoked for being around your daughter.

Since you say that the visits are only twice a year, I would wait until the next visit rolls around before deciding what to do. His guest may be gone by then so it may be a moot point.

If the guest isn't gone, then tell him that you know that your daughter was around his guest illegally, and that if it happens again you are going to be contacting the police.
Unfortunetly, this person is his brother-in-law. My ex's wife will defend this persons actions and doesn't believe any of them have done something wrong.

Once before my ex had this person drive my daughter to meet her Grandmother (before sex offense). This person did not have a driver's license, insurance, or the top attached to the Jeep. Then he bummed $10 from my daughter (9 yrs old) for gas money.

Because it has become apparent that her father and his wife are not people I trust any further. I have wrote them a letter explaining that visits will be restricted to terms that I listed. They wrote back telling me I'm not the judge. So I encouraged them to take this issue to a judge. I feel it would be hard to prove his ability to provide a safe environment without supervision.

Yes, I spoke to the person probation officer. I have not heard what has come of it.

willy777

First of all ...call the police file a report..call back the parol officer and ask to speak to his supervisor if you need to. Make a paper trail. If this abuser is part of the family then he will not go away. When your ex made the choice to take this abuser in then it showed he is just ask sick...family or not. Contact your lawyer and ask the court for supervised visits in your state only based on the danger he exposed your child too. Take it from someone who knows first hand. If your child was ever to be abused it will end her life as she knows it and you will never be able to FIX that. Don't tread lightly on this...it's life or death for your child....Good luck

LdiJ

brisgirl825 said:
What kind of sex offense was this?
It almost had to be something involving a minor if he is ordered not to be around children under 14.

MistyChere

Not exactly sure

LdiJ said:
It almost had to be something involving a minor if he is ordered not to be around children under 14.
This crime occurred on an Indian Reservation in the State of Washington. The probation officer is through a federal agency and couldn't give me a whole lot except he is not allowed around minor children or alcohol. The crime had happened to my daughter's aunt who is now 15 yrs old. From what I understand, he was convicted of Attempted Rape, but what degree or any other charges I'm not sure of. My ex and his wife belief he is innocent of a crime. I have told them I don't care what exactly happened, he has been charged and convicted of a crime that required him to play by different rules. If my ex cannot accept that, then he has chosen someone else over his daughter once again. The reality of it all is, he is almost 7 hours from us, does not schedule visitation regularly, and does not communicate with his daughter, I'm not worried about having to stand my ground. If he chooses to take my denial of vistation to court, I'm hoping that his track record will speak for itself and the stupidity of his actions will be an eye opener.

The best part, my ex has 3 young children at home. One son and two daughters all under the age of 10. And I'm the one that's making things difficult.

Some Random Guy

my ex has 3 young children at home. One son and two daughters all under the age of 10.
Please continue to follow up with the probation officer and child protective services in your Ex's state. Having a convicted child molestor living with three young children is a recipe for disaster. Your Ex obviously doesn't want to protect his children, hopefully the police will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">