• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

extra curricular activities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sunniedde

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My ex and I have had a standard visitation order, new one with Thursday overnights, in place since July. Before then, he wasn't around for 6+years, although there was a visitation order in place.

He has not been exercising the Thursday overnight bit at all. And due to a rather unfortunate incident on Sunday evening between his wife and I, he now wants to. This was the first weekend he had exercised his overnights at all, and he did it while telling me that he would bring her back Friday night.

Thing is, she has been in Girl Scouts which meet Thursday nights from 6:30-7:30. He knows this, and said that he would not exercise the Thursday visitations because of this and not wanting to "upset her weekday routine".

If I take this before a judge, will they likely say that she is allowed to attend? Girl Scouts is important in our househould. She has been in for three years, and I lead a troop, but not hers.

Also, about the incident on Sunday. I know that he can appoint her to do pick ups and drop offs, but I can ask that she remain in the car at the curb, right? She refuses to let him do it, because she feeds off the drama. And, unfortunately, Sunday, I gave her something to feed into. I'd rather her stay in the car at the curb. My ex and I get along wonderfully, but his wife and I do not.

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My ex and I have had a standard visitation order, new one with Thursday overnights, in place since July. Before then, he wasn't around for 6+years, although there was a visitation order in place.

He has not been exercising the Thursday overnight bit at all. And due to a rather unfortunate incident on Sunday evening between his wife and I, he now wants to. This was the first weekend he had exercised his overnights at all, and he did it while telling me that he would bring her back Friday night.

Thing is, she has been in Girl Scouts which meet Thursday nights from 6:30-7:30. He knows this, and said that he would not exercise the Thursday visitations because of this and not wanting to "upset her weekday routine".

If I take this before a judge, will they likely say that she is allowed to attend? Girl Scouts is important in our househould. She has been in for three years, and I lead a troop, but not hers.

Also, about the incident on Sunday. I know that he can appoint her to do pick ups and drop offs, but I can ask that she remain in the car at the curb, right? She refuses to let him do it, because she feeds off the drama. And, unfortunately, Sunday, I gave her something to feed into. I'd rather her stay in the car at the curb. My ex and I get along wonderfully, but his wife and I do not.
if you have a chance, your chance would be now. since dad never excerised the thursday visitation, you can request the court that dad maintain the activity. and definitely request the step mom to remain in the car. from the sounds if it, the child seems capable of walking from curb to house unsupervised.

Just a reminder, OP, that Dad has the choice to take or not take DD to Girl Scouts (or any other activity) during his parenting time unless otherwise ordered by the court....same as you. At this point, Dad is well within his rights to exercise Thursday night visitation and not take her to Girl Scouts if he chooses.

mom482

you can request the court change the visitation date so he can have his overnight, w/o being told how to spend it (girl scouts) and so the child can still go on thursdays if you choose. and while a step is an appropriate substitute - if she is behaving inappropriately and causing issues that you are in no way engaging in - you can ask that she not be sent at all due to the behavior and if she is - stay in the car. sometimes just bringing attention to her behavior w/ the courts will get her to stop on her own even if they don't order that she not participate.

gr8rn

Why was this not brought up when the new order was written? Did you not talk to a mediator, or the judge and why did you agree to Thursday nights when this new order was discussed?

I mean maybe it's just me but I think if it is something that important, I would make sure the visit was ordered for any day BUT Thursday.

sunniedde

To the replies:

I did respond to her this time. I stooped down and was nasty also. I regret it now and have apologized, but it was both of us. Usually she's not around.

I agreed because I was tired. A simple modification of support, he already had the old standard (Wednesday dinners), was drawn out for 8-9 months. I did not figure I needed a kick ass attorney, there was no disagreements at the time. And he had NEVER exercised ANY visitation. I paid $500 for an attorney so that I could sign papers in his office. He didn't even appear in court when the final orders were done. I did just to be sure that the other attorney was not going to sneak anything in. I was pro se, but their attorney was rude. I didn't expect him to stick around this time. Which, until this happened, he was around for a few hours, maybe once a month.

Now, last night, I'm getting texts and email from him, that I know are really her. I engaged in horrid behavior and apologized in an email. In the email I asked if he would let her continue girl scouts on Thursdays and pick her up at 7:30 at the church, instead of 6:00. We'll see.

He still owes $100+ in reiumburseable med. expenses to me that are now past the 30 day limit. So, I may need to take him back anyway. Would this be a motion to enforce??

Also, when he has his Thursday overnights, is he responsible for all transportation to and from school on friday? I'm assuming so, he seems to think that I need to call the school to change her bus dropoff point. I would think it's his responsibility. She'd be on the same bus, just a different stop.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">