• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extramarital Affair/Impact on Child Visitation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cynthier76

New Hampshire
Please help,
I have a male friend who is going through a divorce/child custody battle right now. During his marriage he had an affair and got this other woman pregnant. All my friend wants to do is be there for his children.
He is no longer with the mother of this second child that is on the way and they seem to be able to come to an agreement, however the ex wife to be is now trying to throw adultery at him as being a determining factor in what kind of visitation he will be able to have. He is also seeking Joint Legal Custody. Mother lives three hours away, therefore he is also asking to have her meet him halfway every other weekend so that he may see his 6 month old son.
What are his chances??? Please help, all this this man wants is to start his life over, he has learned from his mistakes, and now all he wants is to be there for his children...

VeronicaGia

Just because he wasn't a good husband doesn't mean he isn't a good father. His infidelity won't be a factor. He does have an attorney right?

C

Cynthier76

Thank you Veronica! :)
He doesn't just yet, he is low on funds if you will, but I know that he does want to obtain one...
The more sad thing of it all is that she (ex wife) won't even talk to my friend she is using 'Daddy'

VeronicaGia

Also, make sure he has a DNA test done on the child that is being born to the "other woman." Make sure he does not admit paternity by signing the birth certificate or signing an acknowledgement of paternity. When he gets hit with support papers, and he will, make sure he demands DNA proof he is the father (or not).

C

Cynthier76

oh I have told him to make sure he gets the test done. Ok so here is another question..."other woman" has invited him to the birth, can he be there and still refuse to sign the BC???

VeronicaGia

Yes, though I will say that she may pressure him to sign it on the spot. He may be so inclined since he will have just witnessed the birth. He needs to be strong and not sign anything. He should also probably not tell her he's going to want a DNA test. It will probably only offend her, when really all he's doing is protecting himself and the child from unnecessary problems down the road. He's also protecting his rights.
A great website for men/fathers: www.deltabravo.net/custody/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">