• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family Services Stepping in

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

angel7665

I am living in New York and my husband is in Florida with our children. My children are afraid to go home because there father drinks. He has had two DWI's in the past year with the children in the truck with him. I want to bring my children up here to live with me. Child Services has taken my son from the home, I dont know as of yet if my daughter has been taken. My question is. Since Child Services has stepped in how do I go about getting custody of my children and getting them up here with me? We are not divorced, we both have custody of the children.

LegalBeagle

angel7665 said:
I am living in New York and my husband is in Florida with our children. My children are afraid to go home because there father drinks. He has had two DWI's in the past year with the children in the truck with him. I want to bring my children up here to live with me. Child Services has taken my son from the home, I dont know as of yet if my daughter has been taken. My question is. Since Child Services has stepped in how do I go about getting custody of my children and getting them up here with me? We are not divorced, we both have custody of the children.
Why did you allow him to have the children in the first place ? If there are no court orders in place then you call SS and inform them you want the children. You call an attorney and file for temporary custody and legal seperation.

K

K Lyons

LegalBeagle said:
angel7665 said:
Why did you allow him to have the children in the first place ? If there are no court orders in place then you call SS and inform them you want the children. You call an attorney and file for temporary custody and legal seperation.
Do you know where the children are? Are they in foster care/or with another family member. Considering you are their legal parent and there is no court order stating you can not have the children residing in your home, go get them. Also, why not just file for a divorce, I am recently divorced, and was just going to file for legal seperation, but found out that it cost just as much to file for a divorce as it does to file for a legal seperation. File, and request that you have sole custody of your children, and he pay CS, with visitations. If he contest your decree, you will go to court and you will have to show proof of why you believe that the children will be better off living with you. Good Luck and Merry Christmas

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">