• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father is paying child support but moving to another state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Terri Dempsey

My ex-husband lives in Illinois but got a new job in South Dakota and is moving there on Feb 1st. I have court ordered child support which is taken directly out of his check by his employer. What do I do now to make sure that his new employer does the same? Do I have to file some kind of documents and do I need to hire a lawyer again or can I do this myself?

usmcfamily

Do you know the name of the employer he is going to be working for? In my case the NCP has changed jobs (and yes even states) several times and each time I have only had to contact the collecting agency with the name and city/state of the new employer so that they can send out the garnishment notice. Additionally all 50 states require that employers complete a 'new hire" (processed this for a company before retiring for SAHM duty..lol) report that lists all newly hired employees and their ss# to the state the work in and the state they live in BUT this is not consolidated into a national listing so it doesn't always "catch up" to the NCP as the state they are working in may not be the one trying to collect CS....so you're best bet is to report it directly yourself. Keep in mind though that it may take several weeks for the process to be done so there may be a month or even two of missed collection....
Good luck and God Bless

T

Terri Dempsey

Father moving to another state

usmcfamily - thanks for the helpful advice. I get my checks from ADP payroll processing so it comes directly out of his check at his present employer. I will contact his new one to see what they need from me. I see that under your name is says "where ever the marine core sends us". God bless you and your family for the sacrifices you make during war and peace. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

T

Terri Dempsey

I am sorry that you do not get more appreciation. I think we Americans take things for granted. After the recent events I have looked at things in a whole new light and this is the first chance I have gotten to met someone involved in the military, so I am so happy to be able to let you know how much it means to all of us, even though we don't always say so or don't know how to. God bless and take care.

G

grandpabri

Check your local laws. Here in California the law was changed last year. It used to be that you had to have the wage assignment order made out to the company ex worked for. The law has been changed so that a company has to honor a wage assignment order even if it is not made out to the specific company.

Good Luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">