• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father Refusing to Return Son to Mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cloverean

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am in Iowa. Jurisdiction is either in Wyoming or Colorado.

This is one convoluted story, so please bear with me.

Father and mother (my daughter) were never married. Both names are on the Iowa birth certificate.

Mom and dad lived together for app. 6 months after baby was born. Dad moved out.

Dad has a long criminal history, and has been imprisoned. Dad married a woman with the same type of history
with child abuse to the point that she has had her children taken away.

Last year an Iowa investigation of child abuse and neglect occurred because grandson's posterior and back were covered
with bruises and scratches. Both the father, stepmother, and my daughter were investigated because no one admitted
to the abuse. Neglect charges stemmed because all 3 adults are filthy housekeepers.

During the investigation the father and stepmother moved to Colorado. My daughter and grandson moved to Wyoming.

The daughter and grandson have come back to Iowa for visits. My husband and I had the grandson for a visit during the month of June.
We returned the grandson to mom in Wyoming. A couple of weeks later, she brought the grandson to Colorado for what was supposed to be
a two week visit with his father and stepmother.

Human services in Colorado told her she could just go get him.

When mom went to retrieve the son, the father refused to give him back, and the stepmother called the police stating the mother was trespassing.
The police would not get involved because it was a domestic dispute.

Mom gets summoned to court in Colorado because dad filed for custody. Court throws it out because they have no jurisdiction because grandson has not
been living in Colorado for 6 months.

Mom attempts to get a lawyer in Wyoming, but is told Wyoming has no jurisdiction because grandson is in Colorado.

Legal Aid will not help mom because the kid is in Colorado.

Human services has been contacted by us (grandma, grandpa, aunts, uncle here in Iowa) because we honest and truly fear for the safety of our grandson.
We have been told an investigation has begun, but have not been told details. We would like to gain guardianship of our grandson.

We are at our wits end here, it seems like we are in a catch-22 situation.

Any advice, please?

Thanks!

Cloverean

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am in Iowa. Jurisdiction is either in Wyoming or Colorado.

This is one convoluted story, so please bear with me.

Father and mother (my daughter) were never married. Both names are on the Iowa birth certificate.

Mom and dad lived together for app. 6 months after baby was born. Dad moved out.

Dad has a long criminal history, and has been imprisoned. Dad married a woman with the same type of history
with child abuse to the point that she has had her children taken away.

Last year an Iowa investigation of child abuse and neglect occurred because grandson's posterior and back were covered
with bruises and scratches. Both the father, stepmother, and my daughter were investigated because no one admitted
to the abuse. Neglect charges stemmed because all 3 adults are filthy housekeepers.

During the investigation the father and stepmother moved to Colorado. My daughter and grandson moved to Wyoming.

The daughter and grandson have come back to Iowa for visits. My husband and I had the grandson for a visit during the month of June.
We returned the grandson to mom in Wyoming. A couple of weeks later, she brought the grandson to Colorado for what was supposed to be
a two week visit with his father and stepmother.

Human services in Colorado told her she could just go get him.

When mom went to retrieve the son, the father refused to give him back, and the stepmother called the police stating the mother was trespassing.
The police would not get involved because it was a domestic dispute.

Mom gets summoned to court in Colorado because dad filed for custody. Court throws it out because they have no jurisdiction because grandson has not
been living in Colorado for 6 months.

Mom attempts to get a lawyer in Wyoming, but is told Wyoming has no jurisdiction because grandson is in Colorado.

Legal Aid will not help mom because the kid is in Colorado.

Human services has been contacted by us (grandma, grandpa, aunts, uncle here in Iowa) because we honest and truly fear for the safety of our grandson.
We have been told an investigation has begun, but have not been told details. We would like to gain guardianship of our grandson.

We are at our wits end here, it seems like we are in a catch-22 situation.

Any advice, please?

Thanks!

Cloverean

Suggest to mom that she get an attorney in Wyoming. Neither she or dad seem to be model parents.

cloverean

Thank you for the advice. She attempted to get a lawyer, but was told there was no jurisdiction because the child is in Colorado.

ecmst12

Whoever told them that Wyoming does not have jurisdiction is WRONG. She needs to find a lawyer that knows the law, and explain the situation effectively.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Whoever told them that Wyoming does not have jurisdiction is WRONG. She needs to find a lawyer that knows the law, and explain the situation effectively.
I suspect that we're running in to the whole "third-party" thing. OP doesn't have all of the information, so our advice is just guesses.

Antigone*

I suspect that we're running in to the whole "third-party" thing. OP doesn't have all of the information, so our advice is just guesses.
OP is actually sneaky, making it sound like she wants to help her daughter and then sneaks in the guardianship thang at the end. True colors are showing... I'm jes sayin'

cloverean

Thanks to Escmst12. I will tell her to contact another lawyer.

I may be a third party to all of this, but I don't have to justify myself to any you.

Just Blue

Thanks to Escmst12. I will tell her to contact another lawyer.

I may be a third party to all of this, but I don't have to justify myself to any you.
Dear God. Are you now gonna do the whole " You don't know me" thing? If you want advice sans comments...go to an attorney. They will withhold their personal thoughts for the 400.00. We, FOR FREE, give our personal opinions. ;)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Dear God. Are you now gonna do the whole " You don't know me" thing? If you want advice sans comments...go to an attorney. They will withhold their personal thoughts for the 400.00. We, FOR FREE, give our personal opinions. ;)
Sorry but no. I don't withhold my personal thoughts.Maybe that is because my hourly fees are less than $400.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">