• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

father seeking advice on obtaining full custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AF_FireFighter

What is the name of your state?Louisiana

In a nutshell...

I was never married to the mother, we have lived together for approximately two years. We had an argument, she attacked me, I called the police, she lied, I got arrested, I moved out while we sought counseling, within a matter of two weeks she started seeing someone else, she now has moved to another city, taking my son with her, where it will be difficult for me to see him, she has a long history of mental illness and is very neglectful of his needs, she took him for the sole purpose of holding him over my head and to get a free check every month. I would like to know what I can expect financially and what are my chances of getting my son back (full custody)

Thanks...

VeronicaGia

AF_FireFighter said:
What is the name of your state?Louisiana

In a nutshell...

I was never married to the mother, we have lived together for approximately two years. We had an argument, she attacked me, I called the police, she lied, I got arrested, I moved out while we sought counseling, within a matter of two weeks she started seeing someone else, she now has moved to another city, taking my son with her, where it will be difficult for me to see him, she has a long history of mental illness and is very neglectful of his needs, she took him for the sole purpose of holding him over my head and to get a free check every month. I would like to know what I can expect financially and what are my chances of getting my son back (full custody)

Thanks...
First of all, have you established paternity legally by signing the birth certificate, signing an affidavit of paternity or taking a court ordered DNA test?

Second, did you get convicted of domestic violence or are the charges still outstanding or dropped?

A

AF_FireFighter

My name is on the birth certificate, and the charges are still outstanding. Today I recorded our phone conversation and have her on tape admitting I didn't touch her, I hoping to get the charges dropped.

VeronicaGia

AF_FireFighter said:
My name is on the birth certificate, and the charges are still outstanding. Today I recorded our phone conversation and have her on tape admitting I didn't touch her, I hoping to get the charges dropped.
You didn't really answer the question. Did YOU SIGN the birth certificate or did the mother simply put your name on the birth certificate? They are two separate issues. I could put Donald Trump on a birth certificate, but unless he signed his name, it means nothing.

Do you know your states laws for recording phone conversations? If you are in a two party state, and did not inform the other party of the recording, you cannot use it and should not even bring it up. If you live in different states and one state is a two party state, you still would have had to inform her of the recording.

nextwife

Hopefully you let the answering machine come on first, informing her she was leaving a message BEFORE you jumped on the line.

A

AF_FireFighter

According to my phone company, I can record any phone call as long as I'm am involved in the conversation. Sorry I didn't clarify, yes I signed the birth certificate.

G

gem79

full custody

dear fire fighter me and my husband went through something very similar , we have full custody of my husbands daughter, well he won custody we wernt married at the time , the childs mother was neglectful and basically a very bad liar and bad example for the child a court rules that it is not law that a child live with their mother, so if she is as bad a parent as you say then you need to keep a log of all incidents that happen times dates the lot and make an application to the court, she also made accusations of assault and ither things but in the end he won so hope this has been some help :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">