• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father Skipping Visitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LenaKir

California.

I can't afford a lawyer right now, so decided maybe i could find some usefull information in here.
We've been divorced for one year.I went to court in November to ask judge eliminate my ex visitations, because he skipped 2 month in the row, and his excused were really lame and sometime he wouldn't even notify me, and just won't show up, leaving his 2 years old son crying by asking where his daddy is and stuff like that. Soi i filed the motion with help of my lawyer, we had a hearing in the court. He did show up at the court to my surprise, and started saying things like that he would love to spend more time with his son and that I'm lying..etc. So judge ordered us an appoiment for the mediation. We got that mediation appoitment in January. And he didn't show up. So what's next? Noone would give me advice, they say I should refer to my laywer..but i can't spend so much money right now. Thank you very much in advance.

wileybunch

Make a motion to modify the visitation agreement so that Dad gives you one week's notice that he plans to exercise any given parenting time of his and that there is a 30-minute window of time for Dad to pick up on his court-ordered visitation days and if he doesn't show up then you are free to go about your business. The downside is that you have to be prepared each and every time that Dad says he's coming, but that's just how it goes. As for your son crying, since he's only 2 and Dad hasn't been coming, don't keep telling him he's coming. His concept of time is much different and he can be told Dad's here to pick him up when Dad gets there. You might also consider emailing/mailing Dad pics of child, etc. to help him feel a part of the child's life. Don't lecture, don't lord over, etc. See if Dad's going to be more a part of the child's life as time goes on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">