• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father wanting to gain visitation and possible custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tsmith85

I was given visitation rights in 2012 by the courts for my daughter. It lasted 2 weeks before the mother began denying me. The mother was under a cps investigation which later landed my daughter and her 2 sisters in foster care. I eas unable to get her due to my criminal warrants. I stayed in contact dent cards gifts etc. I took care of all of that but not in time. My daughter was in foster care for 2 years. The mother is a heroin addict and refused to work a case plan. My mother tried getting her my wife and her mother also. Mind you we live in another state. Finally the mothers mom stepped up. She eas awarded custody. But now refused to allow me to even speak to my daughter. Ive been fighting to be in my daughtets life for years. She is yanked away from me everytime. What are the chances of me getting visitation and possible custody of her now thst ive taken care of my legal issues.

Proserpina

I was given visitation rights in 2012 by the courts for my daughter. It lasted 2 weeks before the mother began denying me. The mother was under a cps investigation which later landed my daughter and her 2 sisters in foster care. I eas unable to get her due to my criminal warrants. I stayed in contact dent cards gifts etc. I took care of all of that but not in time. My daughter was in foster care for 2 years. The mother is a heroin addict and refused to work a case plan. My mother tried getting her my wife and her mother also. Mind you we live in another state. Finally the mothers mom stepped up. She eas awarded custody. But now refused to allow me to even speak to my daughter. Ive been fighting to be in my daughtets life for years. She is yanked away from me everytime. What are the chances of me getting visitation and possible custody of her now thst ive taken care of my legal issues.

If Grandma has custody you're going to need a change of circumstance in order to get custody yourself. In the meantime, if you haven't filed for visitation since Grandma got custody, that's on you - so you need to file for an enforceable order.

So what have you got?

And what "legal issues" do you have?

CJane

I like that for a year before the kids went into foster care, Dad knew Mom was an addict and was under investigation, but only "sent cards and gifts" because HIS legal troubles were such that he couldn't ensure his order was enforced. And THEN for TWO YEARS while they were IN foster care, *everyone else was trying to get the kids, but HIS issues were still too insurmountable.

And now, because he's "gotten his issues sorted out", he wants custody. Of children who don't know him. Children who were in the system for a long time because he couldn't overcome his "legal troubles" in order to be a parent.

I wonder if Mom got clean and had HER issues sorted out, Dad would hand over custody to her as he now hopes the state will to him.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
File for visitation in the court that granted Grandmother custody. YOU will not get custody -- at least not in Ohio -- without a substantial change in circumstance in the life of the CHILD. That ship has sailed. Were you included on a case plan? Were you given notice that you had a right to an attorney in Ohio if there was a CPS case? Did you have counsel? Did you show up for any hearings?

A

ash_78

Realistically you would want to portray yourself in the best light as possible, stable living situation, employment, volunteer in the community, etc. Your going going to have to sell yourself has being transformed. Go for visitation first, and see more favorable terms later as you show continued involvement. The if the mom's parents did not help the child when mom was having problems and after spending time in foster care, it may be that they are are soon to be more agreeable to having the child live with you.

Proserpina

Realistically you would want to portray yourself in the best light as possible, stable living situation, employment, volunteer in the community, etc. Your going going to have to sell yourself has being transformed. Go for visitation first, and see more favorable terms later as you show continued involvement. The if the mom's parents did not help the child when mom was having problems and after spending time in foster care, it may be that they are are soon to be more agreeable to having the child live with you.

Do you understand what you're reading? :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">