• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father Wants to Give Up Parental Rights..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

StuckinaMoment

My son' (6 years old) father was in and out of his entire life due to the fact that he was in the Army. Now that he is home he tried, if you want to call it that, to see his son. We only live 2 hours away from one another. I received a shocking phone call from him last night and he said that he wanted to end his parental rights to him, yet he wants to make sure his mother gets to see my son. That isnt a problem. I do have a few questions though about this....I know child support would be discontinued as well as medical thats a given. But can a father do that? Be that irresponsible and say I dont want anything to do with him and so be it. How do we go about this? The father of my son wants my fiance to adopt him. If that happens it wont happen until we are offically married. And most of all....I spent my sons entire life telling him what a great father he has and he has been looking so forward to having a relationship with him,because that is what his father told me he wanted and now what do I tell my son? I am so sad. Please if anyone has any advice let me know... His father is from WI and we are from IL

buka

He can sign over his rights to visitation, but he can only sign over his child support obligation if your fiance adopts your son, so make sure that is what you want to do. As for his mother, she will have no legal rights. It will be your decision to let her see her grandson, your ex cannot make any stipulation that will force you to do so. As for your child's emotional well-being, it's sad, but if his dad hasn't been around in the past and has no intention of being around in the future, then his decision to sign over his rights probably won't affect your child any differently than if his dad just fails to come visit him. At least this way, you KNOW he won't be coming to see him and your child won't get his hopes up. As long as you and your fiance can be there for your child, he'll be okay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">