• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father wants to trade child support for no custody rights.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

75sunshine

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North carolina. I sought child support for my 18 month old son. Child support says he has to pay $735 a month. He says he can't afford that and if I'm willing to accept 450 that he will sign a paper and notorize it stating he will not seek any type of custody or visitation. He doesn't want anything to do with his son. He hasn't seen him but once since birth. He doesn't want to raise another child. But I I don't agree he'll take me to court and get visitation just to get me where I hurt. Would a motorized paper hold up in court?

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North carolina. I sought child support for my 18 month old son. Child support says he has to pay $735 a month. He says he can't afford that and if I'm willing to accept 450 that he will sign a paper and notorize it stating he will not seek any type of custody or visitation. He doesn't want anything to do with his son. He hasn't seen him but once since birth. He doesn't want to raise another child. But I I don't agree he'll take me to court and get visitation just to get me where I hurt. Would a motorized paper hold up in court?
Not in the slightest. Neither will a notarized paper.

It's illegal to buy and sell children in this country.

75sunshine

Not in the slightest. Neither will a notarized paper.

It's illegal to buy and sell children in this country.
If it did go to court. Will I have to hand him over for visitation even though he stated he did not want custody or visitation? I hate to send my child to a home where he isn't wanted. He would only be there so dad can get back at me for not accepting to reduce his child support?

LdiJ

If it did go to court. Will I have to hand him over for visitation even though he stated he did not want custody or visitation? I hate to send my child to a home where he isn't wanted. He would only be there so dad can get back at me for not accepting to reduce his child support?
If you are willing to sign off on reduced child support then let him give you the notarized paper to make him happy, you sign off on the child support reduction and leave it at that. As long as you are aware that if he changes his mind about visitation down the road he can file for visitation. You also can change your mind down the road and file for guideline child support.

Nothing regarding child custody/visitation/child support is ever so fixed as to be permanent.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
And if he DID file for visitation, he WILL get visitation. It's not a "might" or a "could" - it's a "WILL".

75sunshine

If you are willing to sign off on reduced child support then let him give you the notarized paper to make him happy, you sign off on the child support reduction and leave it at that. As long as you are aware that if he changes his mind about visitation down the road he can file for visitation. You also can change your mind down the road and file for guideline child support.

Nothing regarding child custody/visitation/child support is ever so fixed as to be permanent.
Thank you for taking time in helping me in this matter.

75sunshine

Thank you for your advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">