• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fathers name on birth certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

candicev

What is the name of your state? Michigan

my ex boyfriends name is on birth certificate, he knew there could be a chance is was not his but did it anyways.
Now we are seperated and he is asking for a blood test before child support is issued. How does this work. Can he take his name off the birth certificate? what happens if it is not his child?
thanks!

Grace_Adler

If he wants a paternity test and you are willing to do it, one or both of you will have to pay for the test. It costs about $600 here for one. If you have LabCorp there, they can do it. You may have to search around.

If you go to CSE and ask for child support, they will notify him at which time he can deny paternity and they will order a test and if he is the father, he will be ordered to pay for the test, I think but I hear it is cheaper this way.

Oh wait a minute. He signed an Affadavit of Paternity? Well he very well could be ordered to pay anyway because he signed that. He would have to pay it in the state I live in. However, if he got a paternity test anyway and if he's not the father, it may be possible to have a judge rule in his favor where he would not be responsible to pay child support (which I think is only fair if it's not his child). It's hard to say though. It depends on the judge and his mood and the law.

If it is not his child, he also has no rights. I also believe he would be able to petition the courts to remove his name from the birth certificate. Not 100% sure. If he did do that, it again would be hard to predict the outcome.

B

bethdetroit

I am in Michigan and if he signed the afidative of paternity. Then you can go get child support and he will have to motion the court to get a paternity test, It cost us $700.00 to get it done here in MI. But he will have to pay it not you.
He is responsible to pay the child support untill he can prove he is not the father, but if he proves he is not the father then you may hane to pay him back any money he payed in child support.

take care, beth

what county are you living in?

C

candicev

I live in mt pleasant, michigan. he hasnt payed any child support yet. he wants to wait till the test comes back. he knew way before hand that he might not be the father and he wanted to sign the papers anyways. if he is not the father i wouldnt expect him to pay child support, but because he sign it could he get his name off?

B

bethdetroit

if he is proven to not be the childs father then yes his name would come off the birth certificate.

take care, beth

Seanscott

In Indiana - if he is proven to be the father, then he has to pay for the DNA test. If he's not the father, mom has to pay for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">