• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fathers rights to relenquish his rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hartnett

can the father request to relenquish his parental rights? he is the NCP. CP is requesting to remodifiy child support again, and we are still living paycheck to paycheck. We hardly get to see the child. CP told NCP "if you can't handle it then sign over your rights". What are the chances of getting that done? Its not our fault they want new vehicles every year or find themselves in debt. It just feels like CP thinks the easy way out is to come after the NCP. NCP pays CS on time every month. NCP is trying to make a life for the family NCP has now but the CP keeps wanting more. When do you say enough is a enough???? The CP doesn't encourage the relationship between NCP & child if the child doesn't want to go see and spend time with NCP the the child doesn't have to. But the child expects the NCP to get gifts for b-days,holidays,etc. Its like both CP & child think of NCP as a money bag and I ASSURE you that is not the case!!!!

B

Brigette20

I know it must be rough,but the NCP should really think long and hard about it before they give up their rights to their child!That is a very permanent thing!Does the NCP have court ordered visitation rights?

M

meleahk1

the only way a parent can sign over their rights to a child is through adoption, for instance if the mother has remarried and the new husband wants to adopt the child, or if both parents are putting up for adoption.

check the laws of your state. call the court house and see if they offer a law library or web site and check the state statutes.

the previous post.....just like that person said, it is permanant and one should think long and hard in doing so. check the papers, perhaps a modification of visitation is in order.

good luck

jeanine

I know in NY you can give up your parental rights. I don't know what the procedure is. Probably just filing a motion. I feel for the poster because my husband is going through the same thing with his ex and child. He is at the point where he doesn't know why he bothers. I don't think he should give up his rights - or anyone for that matter. I think you may come to regret it later. If your spouse can stick it out, I think he/she may be able to have a good relationship with the child as he/she gets older.

It can be very frustrating, but remember what you do today you may regret tomorrow.

LegalBeagle

I have yet to come across a single state where a parent is allowed to just give up his PR and not have to financially support his children.. and walk away. If it was this easy, every deadbeat would be doing it and my taxes would increase to pay for a ba$tard nation.

Unless there is someone else available to take on the financial responsibility of the children, then it is rare, if not impossible to get out of paying CS.

jeanine

I didn't say they could give up their rights and not have to pay. Of course they still have to pay. I only know of one instance where the parties agreed that if the father gave up his parental rights and never tried to contact the children, his ex agreed to not demand child support. And that's been about 2 years now and he hasn't seen children or paid and she has not brought him back to court or changed her mind. I think if both parties agree then you can do what this couple did, but I don't think most women would give up that money.

D

deefran

That is a very rare incident the mother either had a very high paying job or was married to someone willing to adopt the children...or the judge was very lenient. In any case things work out for the best in the end..even if it looks like it's not at the moment.

MySonsMom

jeanine said:
I didn't say they could give up their rights and not have to pay. Of course they still have to pay.
The original poster rarely gets to see the child, and it is the money that they are concerned about.

So as LB stated, you cannot walk away from the financial responsibility of a child unless there is someone to adopt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">