• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Federal Taxes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stott

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Im trying to calculate child support at 20.63%. I am having a hard time trying to determine the amount of monthly federal so that I can deduct it from net income.

I have estimated 217 for SS . He pays no ins so that is 0 and no union dues.

What is the amount for federal roughly? I dont know how that is calculated except based on family size.

He makes 20.21 hourly. He gets occasional overtime but his lawyer is telling me he will be paying 417 and change. He barely let me glance at his paycheck stubs. 417 is not sounding correct. I had some help on here that was 519 @ 19.68 and hr but I found out he got a raise in the past month to 20.21

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Im trying to calculate child support at 20.63%. I am having a hard time trying to determine the amount of monthly federal so that I can deduct it from net income.

I have estimated 217 for SS . He pays no ins so that is 0 and no union dues.

What is the amount for federal roughly? I dont know how that is calculated except based on family size.

He makes 20.21 hourly. He gets occasional overtime but his lawyer is telling me he will be paying 417 and change. He barely let me glance at his paycheck stubs. 417 is not sounding correct. I had some help on here that was 519 @ 19.68 and hr but I found out he got a raise in the past month to 20.21
Federal tax isn't a very simple calculation. However, if he is single with 1 exemption the basic federal withholding would be about 100.00 a week.

Stott

Federal tax isn't a very simple calculation. However, if he is single with 1 exemption the basic federal withholding would be about 100.00 a week.
First of all let me apologize for posting this is custody. I thought I clicked Support.

at the time we split it was married and 6 deductions. Maybe 5.

mistoffolees

First of all let me apologize for posting this is custody. I thought I clicked Support.

What I would do is go to the IRS site. They have a form for doing your taxes online. You can add the appropriate number of exemptions, appropriate deductions, etc - and come up with a realistic estimate of what you'd be paying.
Free File Home - Your Link to Free Federal Online Filing

LdiJ

Yes, but once you are divorced, he is not going to be able to claim married and 5 or 6 deductions. Therefore I believe the normal calculation is going to be based on single and 1.

LdiJ

What I would do is go to the IRS site. They have a form for doing your taxes online. You can add the appropriate number of exemptions, appropriate deductions, etc - and come up with a realistic estimate of what you'd be paying.
Free File Home - Your Link to Free Federal Online Filing
Misto...just FYI, from my experience as a tax professional the online calculator and the instructions on the W4 form don't do a very good job of accurately calculating the proper number of exemptions to claim.

I never use them. I always calculate/project it out using as accurate of numbers as I can come up with, and generally my numbers come up with people needing to claim fewer exemptions than the calculator/instructions come up with.

mistoffolees

Misto...just FYI, from my experience as a tax professional the online calculator and the instructions on the W4 form don't do a very good job of accurately calculating the proper number of exemptions to claim.

I never use them. I always calculate/project it out using as accurate of numbers as I can come up with, and generally my numbers come up with people needing to claim fewer exemptions than the calculator/instructions come up with.
It may not come up with the correct number of exemptions to claim for your weekly withholding, but it will come up with the correct annual tax rate. Divide by 52 to figure out what your weekly taxes are.

The question was to find out what to enter in the child support calculator for weekly taxes. Calculating the correct annual taxes and dividing by 52 is going to be more accurate than trying to calculate the withholding directly. Most people withhold too much money.

LdiJ

It may not come up with the correct number of exemptions to claim for your weekly withholding, but it will come up with the correct annual tax rate. Divide by 52 to figure out what your weekly taxes are.

The question was to find out what to enter in the child support calculator for weekly taxes. Calculating the correct annual taxes and dividing by 52 is going to be more accurate than trying to calculate the withholding directly. Most people withhold too much money.
I just realized that you gave the "free file" link rather than the link to the withholding calculator.

Yes, someone could do a "dummy" return to see what their likely tax bite would be, but that is not how TX determines "net income" for the purpose of a child support calculation. TX uses standard withholding.

Stott

I just realized that you gave the "free file" link rather than the link to the withholding calculator.

Yes, someone could do a "dummy" return to see what their likely tax bite would be, but that is not how TX determines "net income" for the purpose of a child support calculation. TX uses standard withholding.
Yes its something standard and changes depending on your hours I noticed with some of his checks before we seperated. I just know there is no calculation like there is for SS and Medicare. I have 6.2% and 1.45% and I do that for monthly deductions from his gross income.

What about tax returns? Should I use those maybe?
He did not attend his hearing with his ex on the 19th for an increase which would have given me an estimate. He got it extended until Sept 14th.

Thanks yall!

Stott

=) ok I went to Intuit and made my husband my employee but I did a trial thing to be able to view tax deductions. But I got federal at 19.30 a week. 50.31 at SS. The child Support Calculator does not ask I take out for medicare but I should since its after all taxes. That is 11.72 a week. This is what im getting with Intuit entering his pay 20.21 at 40 hours.

Bring home is telling me 727.26 before his Insurance and other CS deduction.
So I took the take home I have and times 52/12*20.63% and I wound up with 650.15. Did I do it right?

LdiJ

=) ok I went to Intuit and made my husband my employee but I did a trial thing to be able to view tax deductions. But I got federal at 19.30 a week. 50.31 at SS. The child Support Calculator does not ask I take out for medicare but I should since its after all taxes. That is 11.72 a week. This is what im getting with Intuit entering his pay 20.21 at 40 hours.

Bring home is telling me 727.26 before his Insurance and other CS deduction.
So I took the take home I have and times 52/12*20.63% and I wound up with 650.15. Did I do it right?
There is no way those figures are correct.

20.21 x 40 is 808.40 a week. Social security and medicare are correct but federal is NOT. You have to be basing it as married with 5 or 6 exemptions and that is simply incorrect. Once you are divorced he will be single with maybe only 1 exemption. You cannot calculate his child support to you as if you were still married.

Stott

There is no way those figures are correct.

20.21 x 40 is 808.40 a week. Social security and medicare are correct but federal is NOT. You have to be basing it as married with 5 or 6 exemptions and that is simply incorrect. Once you are divorced he will be single with maybe only 1 exemption. You cannot calculate his child support to you as if you were still married.
Yes I redid it and got 581 at one. But Im sure he hasn't changed it nor will he. I also think he will continue to use his other daughters. He always has. I am trying to calculate temp support so will temporary support still be based on us being married then? I asked him and he said he already changed it...:rolleyes: I doubt it.

Stott

Is he paying prior child support orders?
Yes right now he pays 200 monthly but has a 9-14 hearing for an increase. My TRO hearing is 9-8.
The 200 he pays is only based on her max income to keep her SSI and Benefits but she lost her SSI last October and they are finally getting into court for an increase based on actual percentage etc.

Last week he told me his lawyer for our divorce told him he will be paying her and I 350 a month.

LdiJ

Yes right now he pays 200 monthly but has a 9-14 hearing for an increase. My TRO hearing is 9-8.
The 200 he pays is only based on her max income to keep her SSI and Benefits but she lost her SSI last October and they are finally getting into court for an increase based on actual percentage etc.

Last week he told me his lawyer for our divorce told him he will be paying her and I 350 a month.
You really should not be listening to what he says his attorney says.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">