• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fighting my mother for custody of my son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Need2BWitMySon

What is the name of your state?New York

My mother was awarded custody of my son four years ago. At the time I was only 22 years old and wasn't stable enough to fight her back so I gave in. Since then it has been a constant war, when I want to see my son she makes excuses but when she has something to do she harrasses me to take him. I pick him up every other weekend and sometimes more than that. I give her $300 a month plus buy him whatever he needs. Now I have my own apartment which I've been living at for over a year and a job as a web producer for two years and I am ready for my son to come live with me. He also asks to live with me almost every day. Not only that, but he sees a therapist once a week because he acts up alot in school due to his emotional stress of wanting to live with me. Whenever I bring this up she says I will NEVER take him out of her house. Is there any advice you can give me about the chances I have at getting him back? Or what I should prepare for? Any help would be much appreciated. I can't deal with this much more. Thanks.

LdiJ

Need2BWitMySon said:
What is the name of your state?New York

My mother was awarded custody of my son four years ago. At the time I was only 22 years old and wasn't stable enough to fight her back so I gave in. Since then it has been a constant war, when I want to see my son she makes excuses but when she has something to do she harrasses me to take him. I pick him up every other weekend and sometimes more than that. I give her $300 a month plus buy him whatever he needs. Now I have my own apartment which I've been living at for over a year and a job as a web producer for two years and I am ready for my son to come live with me. He also asks to live with me almost every day. Not only that, but he sees a therapist once a week because he acts up alot in school due to his emotional stress of wanting to live with me. Whenever I bring this up she says I will NEVER take him out of her house. Is there any advice you can give me about the chances I have at getting him back? Or what I should prepare for? Any help would be much appreciated. I can't deal with this much more. Thanks.
You have a decent shot. Her "edge" is that she has had custody for 4 years. Your "edge" is that parents have the constitutional right to the care and control of their children. Get yourself an attorney and file.

Just Blue

BelizeBreeze said:
As long as all your ducks are in a row and you're complete cabable of caring for your child it is very unlikely a court will denied the natural parent custody. Being a consistent part of your child's life during these years will also benefit your case. File immmediately.

Welcome Back! :D

Need2BWitMySon

Thanks!

Thanks so much for your responses. I am going to court first thing Tues. morning to file for custody back! I have one more question....Is a lawyer absolutely necessary? And does anyone no an approximate cost?

LdiJ

Need2BWitMySon said:
Thanks so much for your responses. I am going to court first thing Tues. morning to file for custody back! I have one more question....Is a lawyer absolutely necessary? And does anyone no an approximate cost?
An attorney isn't absolutely necessary, but its really best to have one....particularly if your mother would have one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">