• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

filing for emergency sole custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ally6453

What is the name of your state? LA

My brother's wife just ran away with his 9-month old daughter to California from Louisiana and he doesn't know what to do. Noone is giving him any help with this horrible situation. Can someone give my any information on what we should do? I am begging for any help that we can get. Thanks so much.

ally6453

Yes, they are still married. She just took off on Friday November the 18th. She just called him that night and said she was already gone.

CJane

ally6453 said:
Yes, they are still married. She just took off on Friday November the 18th. She just called him that night and said she was already gone.
I'll admit to being less than knowledgable about the specific laws in your state, but I'm thinking from what you've posted, nothing illegal has happened, and that's why no one will 'help' your son.

If he wants a divorce, he needs to file in his state and he needs to do so now. At the same time, he can file for custody/orders for mother to return the child to the court's jurisdiction.

Zephyr

CJane said:
I'll admit to being less than knowledgable about the specific laws in your state, but I'm thinking from what you've posted, nothing illegal has happened, and that's why no one will 'help' your son.

If he wants a divorce, he needs to file in his state and he needs to do so now. At the same time, he can file for custody/orders for mother to return the child to the court's jurisdiction.

I agree, file for divorce, for custody or at least temp custody and a motion to order mom to return the child to proper jurisdiction, maybe even hire a pi to track them down so dad knows where to retrieve child once orders are made

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">