• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Find a child custody lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ncsis

What is the name of your state? NC

My sister is searching for a child custody lawyer (she is fighting for custody of her 3 children ages 9,8, and 6). How can she find a lawyer that she can have confidence in? She lives in Forsyth county.

Thanks.

fairisfair

she can call the bar for a referral, she can use the large umber button at the top of the screen to post her case to an attorney, she can ask friends, family and co workers for a referral. She could even go to the courthouse and sit in on hearings.

ncsis

Research lawyer

Ok, thank you for the advice. So I got the name of a lawyer from the bar refferal service. Is there a way to research percentage of cases he has won? Or something about his past record?

Ok, thank you for the advice. So I got the name of a lawyer from the bar refferal service. Is there a way to research percentage of cases he has won? Or something about his past record?
Uhh. The only few ways I know of is if there are any complaints made to the bar, someone has posted negative information online (remember some are just upset that they did not have case) or if you know other attorneys in the area who have worked with that firm. Other than that I don't think so.

FairisFair any thoughts. Your expertise is needed here.

fairisfair

Uhh. The only few ways I know of is if there are any complaints made to the bar, someone has posted negative information online (remember some are just upset that they did not have case) or if you know other attorneys in the area who have worked with that firm. Other than that I don't think so.

FairisFair any thoughts. Your expertise is needed here.
no way funny guy, I am letting you have this one. LOL (and you did just fine)

oh, and OP. . . . you COULD ask him.

frylover

OK, question for the brilliant minds here!

If the OP's sister is in a financial position to do so, is there any reason she couldn't visit two or three different attornies, kind of like getting a second opinion from a doctor? I mean, would there be any ethical concerns for the attornies or anything like that?

I'm not saying she needs to find one who will tell her what she wants to hear, but to be sure she finds one who knows what he/she is talking about? I ask because after all the reading I've done here, I wonder if my husband didn't get some lousy information from a family law attorney about ten years ago.

wileybunch

Of course she can have several consultations to both meet an attorney, get a feel for their style and whether she thinks she would like to work with them, and hear their logic about the situation before deciding who to retain. Nothing wrong with that.

To add to what wiley said. If you can consult with a number of attorneys do so (every attorney you tell your story to is one less attorney your ex can hire for the case). One thing to remember before telling the attorney your story, ask them if they have consulted with or represent your ex first. They have to tell you this.

Second keep note of what attorneys you consult with. If you have already consulted with them (even if they do not represent you) it is a conflict for that attorney to represent your ex in this case.

Just a few extras I thought I would through out there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">