• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Food Stamps assistance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amethystrain

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Louisiana

My exwife and I have joint residential and joint legal custody of our two children (5 & 7).
Our custody papers state that we split all costs equally. We each claim on child for tax purposes.
I went to apply for food stamps a few weeks ago. I got denied. The reason I got denied is because my exwife has food stamps. She claimed both girls. Which, yes she feeds both kids. But, so do I.
The food stamps case worker called me and told me that if my ex called them and took one child off her case, then I could qualify. (And my ex would still recieve her benefits too). My ex calls them and tells them that she is not taking off one of the kids.

Then she calls me back, telling me that she is not taking one of the kids off because she uses her food stamps money as rent to her parents. Which is fraud.

It is getting really difficult to afford food. I am about to take on a second job because that is what must happen.

Do I have any legal standing to take my ex to court?

I have a feeling that your answer will be no. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Louisiana

My exwife and I have joint residential and joint legal custody of our two children (5 & 7).
Our custody papers state that we split all costs equally. We each claim on child for tax purposes.
I went to apply for food stamps a few weeks ago. I got denied. The reason I got denied is because my exwife has food stamps. She claimed both girls. Which, yes she feeds both kids. But, so do I.
The food stamps case worker called me and told me that if my ex called them and took one child off her case, then I could qualify. (And my ex would still recieve her benefits too). My ex calls them and tells them that she is not taking off one of the kids.

Then she calls me back, telling me that she is not taking one of the kids off because she uses her food stamps money as rent to her parents. Which is fraud.

It is getting really difficult to afford food. I am about to take on a second job because that is what must happen.

Do I have any legal standing to take my ex to court?

I have a feeling that your answer will be no. But it doesn't hurt to ask.
File for a fair hearing in a timely manner and take your court orders with you to the hearing .

Fraud would be hard to prove .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">