• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced Custody? If that is what you'd call it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JBinkley

What is the name of your state? TX
I have two boys ages 9 and 15. To try and sum it up, my teenager has uncontrollable, sometimes violent behavior, runs away from home, is defiant and refuses to follow the rules, skips school, drinks and smokes, puts our house in utter turmoil and scares his little brother. We divorced about 6 years ago, and I got sole custody of both boys. My oldest son was on the brink of suicide over the divorce, and we went through several attempts to help him, sending him to a Boys rehabilitation ranch for two years where he received daily counseling and weekly psychotherapy visits. He came back home last year and was fine for a month and began the behavior again. We (his stepdad and I) have tried everything including reward systems for good behavior and nothing has worked. The only time he seems happy with me is when I am buying him stuff, and only returns affection when he wants somthing done for him. He ran away from home again and wants to live with his dad, which is fine with me.... he bucks when punishments are implemented and continues to find ways to break out of the house and I wonder possibly doing drugs? The house is finally at peace and his little brother can have a normal life, now that my oldest son is visiting his father (because he ran away and refused to come back home). However, his father does not want custody... has only taken the children at his convenience which I let him because I think it is important for them to have a relationship with him. Of course it is all fun and games and then he returns them to me. I am even willing to forgive the thousands of dollars he owes in child support for him to try and do something with our teenage son. I don't think the environment my oldest son creates is good for my younger one. Is there such a thing as a judge making the other parent take custody for the best interest of another child? (and for the rest of us too, I'm not going to lie) I think it is high time he takes some responsibility. I've exhausted everything I know to do to help my son. Maybe he does need his dad to step up and be a father, I don't know? I'm tapped out for sending my son to a boot camp this time...which is what everyone else is telling me he needs. I don't even know if that is the answer.... I really don't know what the answer is. The best I can come up with for now is he needs to live with his dad. Has this ever been done to anyone's knowledge. Thanks in advance for any info.What is the name of your state?

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Nope. You need to get your son in the system. Or get a court order requiring dad to pay a portion of boot camp. Or intensive psychological evaluation and treatment.

Humusluvr

You may also want to search (at the top of the forum, there's a search button) "The Garden of Eden." Its a real eye-opener for parents.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You can't make him be the kind of parent you'd like him to be or that your son needs. So you're going to have to do as suggested above - have the court order him to pay for a portion of the help your son needs. But expect him not to follow through.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">