• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

forfeiting parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
By finding the mother some guy to marry who's willing to take over his responsibilities by adopting the kids.

LdiJ

lindy_b said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana
How can a father legally sign off his parental rights?
In Indiana a father can legally sign off his parental rights IF 1) mom is in agreement to that and 2) if mom is married and her husband is willing to adopt the child and take on the parental responsibilities.

Otherwise, no...

To quote more than one Indiana judge "In Indiana we don't *******ize children".

lindy_b

Indiana
My daughters father is in jail and never sees her and is willing to sign off his rights because he could care less, but I still have to be remarried?

casa

lindy_b said:
What about Indiana's abandonment law? After two years can't a parent lose their rights?
There are some exceptions when the parent is incarcerated (depending on the nature of the crime, etc.)

Check IN statutes re; incarcerated parents &/or "Termination of Parental Rights"

LdiJ

casa said:
There are some exceptions when the parent is incarcerated (depending on the nature of the crime, etc.)

Check IN statutes re; incarcerated parents &/or "Termination of Parental Rights"
If that applies, in Indiana, then the incarcerated parent's consent is not required. That assumes that the incarcerated parent's crimes are sufficient enough to overcome the benefit of having two parents responsible for children and their support.

However, even then, their crimes have to be so horrible that they could never be considered to be safe around children.

Seriously, in Indiana judges simply don't terminate parental rights unless there is a stepparent willing to adopt, or unless the parent is practically an axe-murderer.

casa

LdiJ said:
If that applies, in Indiana, then the incarcerated parent's consent is not required. That assumes that the incarcerated parent's crimes are sufficient enough to overcome the benefit of having two parents responsible for children and their support.

However, even then, their crimes have to be so horrible that they could never be considered to be safe around children.

Seriously, in Indiana judges simply don't terminate parental rights unless there is a stepparent willing to adopt, or unless the parent is practically an axe-murderer.
That's good to know~ Same in CA. I personally don't favor TPR except in extreme circumstances anyway. I think you've read where I posted that my oldest daughter had an absent father for a number of years (no contact or support)- but he did come around & Thankfully the door was open to him, since he's an important part of her life now. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">