• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

forfeiting parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

ddorsey

single mother due in November, Live in state of Indiana,
the father (whom I am no longer with) has agreed to forfeit
his parental rights and stay away from us, in return I will
release him from the responsibility of child support and/or
any other obligations he would otherwise be responsible for.
I do not want this man in my life or my childs life, there is absolutely no possible benefit to this child for this man
to be in the childs life. Will the courts allow this? I relize a father can forfeit his parental rights but still
be held responsible for child support. I do not want his
support. And Im sure he wont forfeit his rights if there
is the possibility of having to pay support. Thanx

D

dorenephilpot

If he never establishes paternity and you never seek support, he could in reality be off the hook, though technically, he's still liable to support a child of his.

HOWEVER, a court will NOT terminate his rights and responsibilities unless there is someone standing at the ready to adopt the child.

FYI, if at any point you seek public aid, the agency will require you to establish paternity and seek support from him.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

LegalBeagle

ddorsey said:
I do not want this man in my life or my childs life, there is absolutely no possible benefit to this child for this man to be in the childs life.
Amazing statement considering you were having sex with the guy 5 months ago. No doubt bad judgement on your part.. but who is to say you are not doing the same thing now in your 'new' judgement of this man?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">