• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Foster Care

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

okgramma62

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma
My 16 year old has a baby that is 8 mos old. Daughter will soon be 17. They were removed from my home in September 2002 because the home we lived in was condemned. Now in order for me to get them back in the home, I have to be employeed. I have no problem with that, however, jobs here are very scarce, all the businesses have cut back and laying off people. I have no other family here in Oklahoma except my 2 sons that I live with, they are both adults. My son pays all the bills. My other family lives in Michigan. I just found out that my mom can get me a job in Michigan where she works, and my brother said we could stay with him. He lives alone in a 3 bedroom house. And he can also get my son a job with him. DHS here in Oklahoma said the only way I can do this is leave my daughter here, go up there and get a job, and show proof. Now they want me to get counceling, and take parenting classes. I am 40 years old and have raised 3 children alone. My oldest son is 20. My next court date is the end of March. And to top it all off, Oklahoma DHS is promising my daughter a brand new car, and paid college education if she remains in foster care with my grand daughter. Is there anyway I can get my daughter back with my grand daughter? Can't DHS transfer the case to Michigan, and then they work with the Court here in Oklahoma? What is my legal rights? I have a court appointed attorney here in Oklahoma but he is no help at all, he is never in his office so I can talk to him. The only time I get to talk to him is in the courtroom.:(

kat1963

Go to www.cpswatch.com in the upper right corner read *a parents guide to the system*. There is also an e-mail support group you can join. Other then that, if moving is the only way you can secure employment, you might just have to do it. It sounds like a good thing. CPS will probably contact Social Services in your are to confirm that you are indeed working & have housing. I think they want to ensure you aren't going to be living off your daughter’s welfare benefits. You’ll also be required to pay child support for your daughter while she is in state care. And do note, you will be required to pay support even if they file a termination of parental rights motion (they like to leave that part out).

Yeah, they'll promise her a car, probably college too if she stays in the system until she is 21. They get federal $$ that way for her & the baby. At her age, it is most probable she will tell the judge she doesn’t want to go home & he/she will allow her to remain in foster care.

It’s going to be a long road, I wish you luck.

KAT

O

okgramma62

thanks

Thank you for your advice. I have talked to my daughter, and she wants to move back home when I come back to court in March. So I don't reall have a worry there. And DHS said that if I show proof of job, and housing there shouldn't be any problem with her coming home. I tried that site you sent me to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">