• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Front License Plate in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

k1dyd00

Texas (Dallas)

I see a large number of vehicles with no license plate on the front of the vehicle. (I know of an individual who recently received a $155 ticket because his LEXUX RX 300 did not have a front plate.) I just purchsed a LEXUS RX400h SUV and was told by the dealer a front plate was not required. What is going on? Is a plate on the front of the vehicle required by law, and if so, shouldn't it apply to everyone?

Signed, Totally Confussed!

acmb05

Please move this to the correct thread.

As this has nothing to do with custody/visitation issues.

seniorjudge

Happy Trails

k1dyd00 said:
Texas (Dallas)

I see a large number of vehicles with no license plate on the front of the vehicle. (I know of an individual who recently received a $155 ticket because his LEXUX RX 300 did not have a front plate.) I just purchsed a LEXUS RX400h SUV and was told by the dealer a front plate was not required. What is going on? Is a plate on the front of the vehicle required by law, and if so, shouldn't it apply to everyone?

Signed, Totally Confussed!
I think some of the confusion is coming from a Bill: HB 3540, where it had an article 9 that would have changed the law. Before the Bill was passed, article 9 had been dropped. So no change in that law as of yet.

This still is the current law:
§ 502.404. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE OR REGISTRATION INSIGNIA. (a) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a passenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display two license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle, that have been: etc..

If you are still confused call TXDOT.
Customer Help Desk at (512) 465-7611

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">