• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Frustration of child visitation rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Not sure where every day came from.. I am visiting 2 or 3 times a week talking to my son and his friends or helping out in the lunch room opening stuff for kids whatever parents do when their kids eat. I have been checking with the teacher to ensure I am not a disruption to him or his class.
IMO? 2-3 times a week is excessive.

JWBAD

No - I am asking if you understand why the advice you gave was wrong/poor/dangerous to OP's case. Making mistakes is ok. Making mistakes and then deciding to take your toys and go home is.... juvenile.
I believe from the feedback provided by the members here the reason my advice was wrong/poor/dangerous is because of the clean hands doctrine.

Please let me know if I understand correctly.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I believe from the feedback provided by the members here the reason my advice was wrong/poor/dangerous is because of the clean hands doctrine.

No, I don't want you to spout things you've read elsewhere. WHY would the actions you suggested be bad? Specifically.

SCBurton

IMO? 2-3 times a week is excessive.
I respect your opinion but under the circumstances it is my only opportunity for ANY communication at this time. So I believe the short duration and the frequency is not a concern. In a big picture. I would typically do facetime or video chat but mother has had it a point to block electronic communications too.

Other than a personal perspective are you familiar with any examples of it hurting a person appeal to the courts?

JWBAD

No, I don't want you to spout things you've read elsewhere. WHY would the actions you suggested be bad? Specifically.

The actions I suggested would be bad because OP and mother have joint decision making. So he would need to request and get moms agreement that it was OK to remove the child from classes for the day.

splasher

Thank you for your concern Stealth. It too concerns me. Up to this point I have been engaging everyone at the table and making it a more social lunch for everyone.
That's actually creepy. Don't you have any adults that you can "engage" at lunch? And you do this several times a week?

Creepy. Eventually, another parent may complain about this.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Not sure where every day came from.. I am visiting 2 or 3 times a week talking to my son and his friends or helping out in the lunch room opening stuff for kids whatever parents do when their kids eat. I have been checking with the teacher to ensure I am not a disruption to him or his class.
LEGALLY you can go 2 or 3 times a week. But realistically, don't. I am very involved in my children's schooling and don't go anywhere near that often. Why? Because children need the space.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The actions I suggested would be bad because OP and mother have joint decision making. So he would need to request and get moms agreement that it was OK to remove the child from classes for the day.
Nope. But good try. Move on.

Just Blue

What you need to do is look up the law and case law for the state in question for this OP. You need also to UNDERSTAND what you read. Don't take it personally. We ALL had to do this process. :)

SCBurton

LEGALLY you can go 2 or 3 times a week. But realistically, don't. I am very involved in my children's schooling and don't go anywhere near that often. Why? Because children need the space.
With regular visits I go one or two days a week in an effort to not crowd. One after the weekend and one before short weeks accounted etc. As I had mentioned (or tried maybe it didn't post) all communication is cut off. Under normal circumstances I would face time twice and visit once. Also please know that is is literally 10 or 15 minutes while we are eating literally what did you do. Your sister says..and the other says and finally step mom says .

CJane

With regular visits I go one or two days a week in an effort to not crowd. One after the weekend and one before short weeks accounted etc. As I had mentioned (or tried maybe it didn't post) all communication is cut off. Under normal circumstances I would face time twice and visit once. Also please know that is is literally 10 or 15 minutes while we are eating literally what did you do. Your sister says..and the other says and finally step mom says .
If you're having lunch at the school once/week, that's TWENTY PERCENT of the time. That's a LOT of lunches.

I have 7 kids. One is off to college this fall, but the others range in age from 3rd grade to 10th grade. If I found out that a parent of a classmate was having lunch with any of them 2 or 3 times/week, and "engaging everyone at the table", I'd have an issue with it. I'd have an issue with it once/week. Your motives may be very pure. But from the outside, this seems groomy. And that's creepy.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
In addition to what CJane posted, what if EVERY parent of a kid in class had lunch with their kid just once a week? If you figure a modest 20 kids/class and only ONE of two parents lunching - that's four parents per day. When do the kids learn to socialize on their own?

Honestly, this seems to be more about you and your needs than the kid...

YvonneGutierre

You have to document every denial from the custodial parent. You can fill a police report to have a proof. This way the custodial parent will do everything within legacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">