• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Full custody VS signing over rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Indiana

Could anyone tell me if there is a benefit to having the other parent sign over parental rights to my son? I already have Full Custody, Legal and Physical.
Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Indiana

Could anyone tell me if there is a benefit to having the other parent sign over parental rights to my son? I already have Full Custody, Legal and Physical.
Thanks.
It depends...what are you trying to accomplish?

Dad isnt a big part of his life....he is not able to go to dads and just found out today that he wont be able to go to dads until after June or July trial for stepmoms abuse.

I guess I thought maybe life would be easier for him. I dont even care if dad didnt pay support...college....anything! Of course, I wouldnt do anything if it wouldnt help my sons situation. I was just curious?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Dad isnt a big part of his life....he is not able to go to dads and just found out today that he wont be able to go to dads until after June or July trial for stepmoms abuse.

I guess I thought maybe life would be easier for him.
I dont even care if dad didnt pay support...college....anything! Of course, I wouldnt do anything if it wouldnt help my sons situation. I was just curious?
Him WHO?

As the parent of your child, you have the moral and ethical responsibility to make sure your child receives all that HE is entitled to. That means that YOU need to be a strong advocate when it comes to physical and material support from the other parent.

mistoffolees

Indiana

Thanks.
First, few courts are going to allow Dad to simply walk away. In a few states, abandonment is grounds for termination of parental rights, but it doesn't seem that you meet the requirements since there is a plan for the child to see Dad.

Second, Dad should be paying CS for his child. Even if you can live without it, that money could be used to fund a college education or provide other benefits for the child. How would it possibly be in the child's best interest to cut that off?

LdiJ

To quote a common phase from Indiana attorneys:

"Indiana judges do not *******ize children. They want two parents legally responsible for children".

Bottom line, he cannot "sign over" his parental rights. If you were in a long term marriage and your husband wished to adopt the child and take over the legal responsibilities, and dad was in agreement to that, that could happen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">