• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gal and one sided investigations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

The GAL brought up the "joint custody" thing out of the blue. I wanted to talk to my lawyer before I said anything to the GAL. I was shocked at him bringing it up and was really speechless about it.

I don't see joint legal or physical, I mean really? A father who has chosen to remove himself from a childs life. I'd have to consult him about school, church and medical choices when he goes happily for months pretending she doesn't exist. Same OP make important choices in a childs life that he knows nothing about.
Hopefully I can get with my lawyer this week but it just seems crazy to me.

Thanks again
I understand why it seems crazy to you. However in the general scheme of things its intended to keep both parents involved with their children, even if they are far apart geographically.

For all practical purposes it would not effect day to day decision making. Joint legal custody would effect decisions that impact both parent's time with the child, and decisions that are of major impact overall.

Its not going to stop you from taking your child to the church of your choice. However it might stop you from deciding that she should become a Mormon if she has typically been raised as a Catholic (for example), unless dad agrees. Or, it might stop you from deciding to home school her if she has typically attended public school unless dad agrees, or it might stop you from expensive, elective medical procedures unless dad agrees. However, that doesn't mean that any of those changes could not happen, it simply means that if you and dad cannot agree, that you have to take it to court for a judge to decide.

It won't stop you from making any ordinary or emergency decision regarding your child's medical care or ordinary day to day schooling decisions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">