• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

GAL Report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mr. Everyday

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Does anyone know if you can appeal a GAL report? The one I got was not horrible, but the conclusions didn't really fit the body of the report. I know this can be contested in court, but is there another way before it gets to trial?

Thanks.

Mr. Everyday

Mr. Everyday

Gal

What is traditionally done in order to contest a GAL report? I have a lawyer, and they tell me this is what trial is for. It just seems to me that this (hiring a GAL) is the way the system works. I am just looking for a way to gain ground which doesn't require smashing the very system you are trying to sway.

Thanks.

LdiJ

What is traditionally done in order to contest a GAL report? I have a lawyer, and they tell me this is what trial is for. It just seems to me that this (hiring a GAL) is the way the system works. I am just looking for a way to gain ground which doesn't require smashing the very system you are trying to sway.

Thanks.
Your lawyer is right. The only way to contest a GAL report is to challenge it at trial. However, judges do rely heavily on the recommendations of GALs, and it can be difficult to challenge them. Not impossible, just difficult.

majomom1

Your lawyer is right. The only way to contest a GAL report is to challenge it at trial. However, judges do rely heavily on the recommendations of GALs, and it can be difficult to challenge them. Not impossible, just difficult.
I agree, the lawyer is correct. The GAL will have to testify in court. OP's attorney needs to question all of the findings and have any discrepancies explained - on the record.

What does your attorney say about the report and the conclusions? He may have had some experience with this GAL... or should have resources to verify their reputation. If the discrepancies are big, he should be able to tell you whether or not he can raise any doubt, or challenge.

Mr. Everyday

Recommendation

The GAL has a stellar reputation, though the intern who did the work is... well... an intern. There are many discrepancies. The conclusions just don't gel easily from the body. Also: Much verification was not done, and where it was done, it was professionally related people with a kinship to the spouse. These people spoke often to my spouse about the details of the pending divorce.

It is amazing that this cannot be considered tampering, but I guess it cannot.

Lies will drown me.

The truth sets me free.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">