• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Garnishing Child Support Check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vanderson

What is the name of your state? Michigan
recently i had not received my child support checks, upon questioning the courts i was told that the father owed money for an old hospital bill of the children and the hospital was taking the funds that were supposed to be issued to me. isn't that money for the welfare of my kids not to pay off the father's debt? can i get this money back? my children are suffering because of lost of money.

VeronicaGia

The hospital would come in second, and should not be taking this money. I don't know if you can get it back. His payroll department may have made some type of mistake.

Are you in contact with him? He may not even know his money is being sent to the wrong place. In any event, it doesn't sound like it's his fault, it's something that you both need to straighten out though.

One possibility..

A collection agency, working for the hospital, may have been contracted, apart from the D.A., and gone after the debt without regard to support. It would seem strange that the court could be aware of this ahead of time and give the "o.k." to put the hospital debt first.

In California, medical bills for the children which are not covered by insurance are 50% allocated to each parent.

Another instance in which child support gets redirected is when AFCD (welfare) has been paid by the state to the custodial parent for a period. This amount must then be reimbursed back to the State (of California) by the non-custodial parent. In such a case, the State gets paid first from any garnishments or tax refund interceptions. Once the State has been reimbursed for their AFDC, then the kids start getting payments through garnishment again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">