• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

General Child Custody Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Skyymiles

Her dad got arrested while I was pregnant, and he's about to go to jail for violation of probation for not paying his court costs and fines. But what I'm interested in, is while he's in jail, if his "soon to be wife" can have visitation rights.

Skyymiles

Do you think, in your general opinion, that theres any way I could obtain full custody considering how much trouble he is in already? (ie. Domestic Voilence, Violation of Probation)

LdiJ

Her dad got arrested while I was pregnant, and he's about to go to jail for violation of probation for not paying his court costs and fines. But what I'm interested in, is while he's in jail, if his "soon to be wife" can have visitation rights.
"Soon to be wife"? Nope, she would have no standing at all.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Do you think, in your general opinion, that theres any way I could obtain full custody considering how much trouble he is in already? (ie. Domestic Voilence, Violation of Probation)
Of your child? You will have full custody since you are not married. That could change if one of you files to establish paternity, etc.

Of his child with someone else? REALLY unlikely.

Skyymiles

Yeah, he's not even on the birth certificate as of now. Theres no DNA test and he refused to ever sign it but he goes back and fourth about whether its his or not.

justalayman

unless you were married when you became pregnant, until, unless, somebody establishes paternity, even he has no rights let alone his girlfriend.

The only time I have heard of visitation for a non-relative was when there was some established relationship that the court felt should be continued for the well being of the child. It usually requires the relationship to be lengthy and meaningful. It doesn't sound like that is the situation here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">