• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

General question regarding child support...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jtb1987

Specifically loop holes in child support?

Apparently in NC you can get out of paying child support if you convince the girl to let you see the child equal time. Then you could just borrow the clothes it has at it's moms place and you can just feed it whatever your having. Also, if the girl ever makes a higher income than you, then you could even make her pay YOU child support. Even though she will be primarily taking care of the child and paying for all of it's stuff.

In the case of my friend this is exactly what is happening. Except it gets even crazier. For the past 3 years my friend has taken care of daughter the majority of the time. And has it documented. The child only sees her father every other weekend. Recently, the girl has attempted to ask the guy for child support because it's getting tough on her to handle all the child's expenses herself. The guy reacted by demanding equal time with his daughter and apparently he's going to get it. Here is the kicker though, he found out that the girl makes more money than him, and is going to ask HER for child support. So then she will be forced to not only pay for the child, but also give HIM child support. That doesn't even seem real, but it's what her lawyer told her is very possible. Is our legal system really this flawed? If so, I'm afraid to drive knowing that cops are out there.

Silverplum

Oh, the joys of quoting for posterity.
:rolleyes:

Apparently in NC you can get out of paying child support if you convince the girl to let you see the child equal time. Then you could just borrow the clothes it has at it's moms place and you can just feed it whatever your having. Also, if the girl ever makes a higher income than you, then you could even make her pay YOU child support. Even though she will be primarily taking care of the child and paying for all of it's stuff.

In the case of my friend this is exactly what is happening. Except it gets even crazier. For the past 3 years my friend has taken care of daughter the majority of the time. And has it documented. The child only sees her father every other weekend. Recently, the girl has attempted to ask the guy for child support because it's getting tough on her to handle all the child's expenses herself. The guy reacted by demanding equal time with his daughter and apparently he's going to get it. Here is the kicker though, he found out that the girl makes more money than him, and is going to ask HER for child support. So then she will be forced to not only pay for the child, but also give HIM child support. That doesn't even seem real, but it's what her lawyer told her is very possible. Is our legal system really this flawed? If so, I'm afraid to drive knowing that cops are out there.

jtb1987

I'm not sure I understand your reply. I'm not claiming to know anything about law, I'm just curious if this can really happen. So I searched for a forum. Do you have any insight?

Silverplum

I'm not sure I understand your reply. I'm not claiming to know anything about law, I'm just curious if this can really happen. So I searched for a forum. Do you have any insight?
I have all sorts of insights. I choose to share them as I please.

You displease me.

,,,to say the least. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Please read the sticky at the top of this forum, specifically about 3rd party questions. That is why you're not getting answers.

Humusluvr

Please don't call the child an "it." The child is not a hamster or a goat or something. Find out the child's gender, please.

The lawyer said its possible? Well, if the judge makes it happen, then come back and let us know. I don't see it (and I mean the situation, not the child.)

jtb1987

Please read the sticky at the top of this forum, specifically about 3rd party questions. That is why you're not getting answers.
I see. I'm still curious though, does anyone know of a forum somewhere that allows you to ask hypothetical questions?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I see. I'm still curious though, does anyone know of a forum somewhere that allows you to ask hypothetical questions?
If you would post your question in HUMAN terms, you might get a bit more of a response.

Silverplum

What you are supposed to do with hypotheticals is hire an attorney and pay for the time it takes to answer the questions.

jtb1987

I did not mean to offend anyone. The first paragraph was to explain the apparent law that if both parties have equal time with the child, neither is entitled to pay the other child support (except apparently if one party makes more money???).

In my second paragraph I did indicate the gender of my friend's child. I'm sorry I did not read the forum rules about hypothetical questions, but my intent was not to offend anyone.

Silverplum

I did not mean to offend anyone. The first paragraph was to explain the apparent law that if both parties have equal time with the child, neither is entitled to pay the other child support (except apparently if one party makes more money???).

In my second paragraph I did indicate the gender of my friend's child. I'm sorry I did not read the forum rules about hypothetical questions, but my intent was not to offend anyone.
We're not here to waste our time on people who can't even be bothered to think of a child as a person, a human being.

Whether or not you read the posting rules is of little import. How you think and write reveals whether or not you are a good use of my/our time.

You aren't.

jtb1987

What you are supposed to do with hypotheticals is hire an attorney and pay for the time it takes to answer the questions.
She has already been through that. When she went to the lawyer and showed her all her documentation and explained the scenario, the lawyer was VERY confident she says that she could get my friend child support and primary custody of the child.

However, the dead beat got a lawyer and contacted her lawyer apparently and her lawyer is suggesting nothing can be done as he "has the right" to equal time. Even though she has proof of him rejecting more time with her in the past, helping to pay for things, etc. It doesn't seem real, that's why I got curious and began looking for insight.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">