• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting Child Custody / Neglect

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbaldwin81

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

If I am seeing neglect in the childs home what are some of the top reasons for winning in a custody battle and what are my options in this case?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

If I am seeing neglect in the childs home what are some of the top reasons for winning in a custody battle and what are my options in this case?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
If you are seeing neglect, you need to be calling the authorities. Winning a custody battle doesn't even matter if their safetly is at stake and you haven't even made an attempt to notify the child protective services agency in your area.

LdiJ

If you are seeing neglect, you need to be calling the authorities. Winning a custody battle doesn't even matter if their safetly is at stake and you haven't even made an attempt to notify the child protective services agency in your area.
I think perhaps that we need to have some idea of what the OP views as neglect, before we send the OP off calling CPS or any other authorities.

After all, we have seen quite a few posters on these forums stating that their children were being neglected, when the specifics absolutely did not indicate neglect from a legal standpoint.

Antigone*

I think perhaps that we need to have some idea of what the OP views as neglect, before we send the OP off calling CPS or any other authorities.

After all, we have seen quite a few posters on these forums stating that their children were being neglected, when the specifics absolutely did not indicate neglect from a legal standpoint.
If the neglect is severe enough that it warrants a change in custody then it is in fact neglect and the authorities should be called at the first sign.

Otheriwse it seems to me like the OP is blowing smoke in order to further their own agenda.

How many times have we seen this happen - far too many times to count.

I guess I just didn't get my point across in a clear manner.

CJane

If the neglect is severe enough that it warrants a change in custody then it is in fact neglect and the authorities should be called at the first sign.
This is true. But you KNOW that a whole lot of the time, we see people who think that neglect to the point that a change in custody is required is one parent leaving a 12 year old home alone for an hour. Or not letting them use their cell phone during dinner. Yanno?

Also? We don't even know if this is a parent or a 3rd party.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">