• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting child support raised

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

texcess

What is the name of your state? TX
4 years ago my ex lost his job and got a lawyer to file papers to reduce child support from 700 to 267 a month for two children. Since then he has taken 2 jobs and quit each one within 6 months. He started his own business and my daughters report him showing them checks for 20 and 30 thousand that has come in. I knew about these for a while and never bothered to persue more support beucase I was making a decent living and didnt need the money but all that has changed. I tried contacting the district attorney to start paperwork and they said our case was filed with the county clerk and I would have fill out tons of paperwork to get the case turned over to them (like certified copies of the original divorce , the revision, and also fill out about 20 pages of info they sent me). The original decree also stated he was to pay for the insurance on both children. That was not mentioned on the revision and for the last 3 years they have not been covered by insurance.
My question is this. Should I hire a lawyer to file for a revision like he did and is that expensive? I dont have any of the paperwork the DA was requesting ..It was all lost when my house was remediated due to mold damage. Not to mention all the time and expense to to get copies certified and filled out ( the original decree was 50 pages long and the courthouse wanted 15 cents a page).
Also will I be entitled to any back child support for the years he was making money and not paying. I do recall the revised papers saying he was to notify the court of any change in income wich he never did?
Last question is..is there any way to do this without him knowing I am requesting it? Sounds silly I know..but he is going to go balistic when he finds out and he has a past history of getting violent and I dont know how prepared I am to deal with his harrasment when I do this.

kat1963

Your going to need the paperwork to file. You can pay .15 a page or pay the lawyer 1.50 per page, either way, you are going to need a copy. Since this sounds complicated I suggest going with a lawyer for probably the best outcome or let the DA handle it. I say this because it sounds like you might get into subpeona's of his books ect...and I'm not really sure how much time and expense the DA would be willing to work w/you on your case. I guess you have to weigh your options.
KAT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">