• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting Custody back from her Grandparents...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cinnabonhun

Connecticut

I'm very confused. I have fighting my parents in court for 2 1/2 years to regain custody of my daughter. We are in Probate Court and I am clueless. I can not afford a lawyer, being a single mother. I have a full time job, a 3 bedroom duplex, I do not do drugs, and I am not a "drinker". I have never been arrested, and I have never even gotten a parking ticket! Some how my parents have managed to file in court that I attempted to "kill" my daughter and that I am a "bad mother". None of which, is true. I see my daughter (she is 5) at least 3 times a week and I talk to her as many times a day as someone will answer the phone and allow me to talk to her. She means EVERYTHING to me. Our court date is a week away! And my parents are attempting to have my parental rights terminated! I can't let that happen. Someone told me that I need to file to motion to have temporay custody returned to me. Does anyone else know? I've taken a parenting class, read the books, I've done everything I can possibly think of. PLEASE PLEASE someone give me some help, advice, something. Please, I need the support at this time, I'm beyond stressed and I just need help. Please!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

Connecticut

I'm very confused. I have fighting my parents in court for 2 1/2 years to regain custody of my daughter. We are in Probate Court and I am clueless. I can not afford a lawyer, being a single mother. I have a full time job, a 3 bedroom duplex, I do not do drugs, and I am not a "drinker". I have never been arrested, and I have never even gotten a parking ticket! Some how my parents have managed to file in court that I attempted to "kill" my daughter and that I am a "bad mother". None of which, is true. I see my daughter (she is 5) at least 3 times a week and I talk to her as many times a day as someone will answer the phone and allow me to talk to her. She means EVERYTHING to me. Our court date is a week away! And my parents are attempting to have my parental rights terminated! I can't let that happen. Someone told me that I need to file to motion to have temporay custody returned to me. Does anyone else know? I've taken a parenting class, read the books, I've done everything I can possibly think of. PLEASE PLEASE someone give me some help, advice, something. Please, I need the support at this time, I'm beyond stressed and I just need help. Please!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
No one here can help you unless we know exactly what happened to cause your parents to get custody of your child in the first place...and no, it could not have been just an accusation like that, because then you would not have received due process.

Gracie3787

Connecticut

It sounds like you are in over your head. You are going to NEED to find a way to hire an attorney. I know it can be costly, but look at it this way- you are fighting for your daughter and any money spent will be worth it.

If you absolutely cannot hire an attorney, you need to get a consult with one. Then study up on your state's laws and court rules to prepare yourself for court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">