• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting custody of my son, his father and i are not married and never were...???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Proudmommy11130

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I live in the state of MD and my son's father lives in VA. I wanted to know what is the law in regards to unmarried parents, and who technically has full custody? I have read that if the parents are unmarried, the mother has full custody, is that true?
My son is under my insurance, i claim him on my taxes, and he's permanent address is my address. My son also cries for me everytime i drop him off at his dads. If his dad picks him up from my mothers, he throws a fit that its not me. He never cries when his dad leaves him... just me.
His father and i get along to an extent. We have had a verbal aggreement in regards to what days are spent with him and with me. His father is on the birth certificate and my son did take his last name. Im engaged to be married, and my future husband is not the father of my son. But they get along great, and my son really looks up to my fiance. My fiance works full time, and is in the military (army reserves). My son's father works part time and goes to college full time. So he really doesn't spend time with his son other than in the evenings when he gets home, he is usually in the care of his father's parents. I am also pregnant with my fiance's baby, so I know that i will be home more than my son's father.
What are the chances of me obtaining custody?
What do i need to do to start filing for custody?
Also there have been times that his father has stopped his medication (antibiotic) because he felt that our son didnt need it anymore. even though the doctor clearly stated that our son needed to finish the medicine completely. Also when our son was eating stage 2 baby foods, his fathers parents would put his baby food in a cup add water and then let him drink it. which i find absurd. The reason for different stages of baby food is to help the baby learn to chew. My son also has bad eczema at times, and needs certain lotions applied. (I have pictures) of when i have picked up my son, went to change him and noticed large red blotchy spots of eczema all over his legs (which clearly shows that his father/fathers parents rarely applied the lotion to help treat the spots). Or when the doctor suggested using cortizone on his eczema, his fathers parents refused to use it cause they didnt believe in it.
I just want to know my chances on getting full custody of my child, how much should i ask for in child support, and what i need to do to file for custody (like what all i need to have together to file).
My sons father is a good dad. He is more than welcome to see his son on the weekends, but i want full custody of my son. I love my son more than anything in this world, and there is nothing i wouldn't do for him.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I live in the state of MD and my son's father lives in VA. I wanted to know what is the law in regards to unmarried parents, and who technically has full custody? I have read that if the parents are unmarried, the mother has full custody, is that true?
My son is under my insurance, i claim him on my taxes, and he's permanent address is my address. My son also cries for me everytime i drop him off at his dads. If his dad picks him up from my mothers, he throws a fit that its not me. He never cries when his dad leaves him... just me.
His father and i get along to an extent. We have had a verbal aggreement in regards to what days are spent with him and with me. His father is on the birth certificate and my son did take his last name. Im engaged to be married, and my future husband is not the father of my son. But they get along great, and my son really looks up to my fiance. My fiance works full time, and is in the military (army reserves). My son's father works part time and goes to college full time. So he really doesn't spend time with his son other than in the evenings when he gets home, he is usually in the care of his father's parents. I am also pregnant with my fiance's baby, so I know that i will be home more than my son's father.
What are the chances of me obtaining custody?
What do i need to do to start filing for custody?
Also there have been times that his father has stopped his medication (antibiotic) because he felt that our son didnt need it anymore. even though the doctor clearly stated that our son needed to finish the medicine completely. Also when our son was eating stage 2 baby foods, his fathers parents would put his baby food in a cup add water and then let him drink it. which i find absurd. The reason for different stages of baby food is to help the baby learn to chew. My son also has bad eczema at times, and needs certain lotions applied. (I have pictures) of when i have picked up my son, went to change him and noticed large red blotchy spots of eczema all over his legs (which clearly shows that his father/fathers parents rarely applied the lotion to help treat the spots). Or when the doctor suggested using cortizone on his eczema, his fathers parents refused to use it cause they didnt believe in it.
I just want to know my chances on getting full custody of my child, how much should i ask for in child support, and what i need to do to file for custody (like what all i need to have together to file).
My sons father is a good dad. He is more than welcome to see his son on the weekends, but i want full custody of my son. I love my son more than anything in this world, and there is nothing i wouldn't do for him.
You have custody. If you go to court expect dad to get joint custody.

Isis1

you have sole custody of the child until the courts say otherwise.

you are letting have dad have visitation with the child. already, you are a step ahead.

children cry when they have such a drastic change. it's a stage on how they communicate. your child is fine. once they get older, they start complaining. then there is the whining stage. then the rebellion stage. your child is normal.

check your local state child enforcement for a guideline calculator. those are usually very close to the numbers.

you can file to establish paternity/vistation/custody and support with the court. should you chose to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">