• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting full custody to move

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dad2onekid

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? tn

I just finished school. I have a degree now, yet I'm still working in fast food because there are no jobs here. I'm looking at moving to another city or even state but I don't want to leave my kid. My ex has custody, I get weekends. What are my chances of pursuing full custody and winning? I've heard of change of circumstances and in this case, it would be that I have a degree and can't find a job here. I haven't asked my ex to move yet, but if she says no I won't have any choice but to try to get full custody. What are my chances?

Proserpina

I just finished school. I have a degree now, yet I'm still working in fast food because there are no jobs here. I'm looking at moving to another city or even state but I don't want to leave my kid. My ex has custody, I get weekends. What are my chances of pursuing full custody and winning? I've heard of change of circumstances and in this case, it would be that I have a degree and can't find a job here. I haven't asked my ex to move yet, but if she says no I won't have any choice but to try to get full custody. What are my chances?

Zero.

The court wants to see a change in the child's circumstances. You getting a degree doesn't fall into that category.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

So why is this a reason to disrupt the child's life? Newsflash for you - it is NOT about *you*.

dad2onekid

I am current on child support now. I would think that a "coc" in my child's father's life would be a "coc" in my child's life.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I am current on child support now. I would think that a "coc" in my child's father's life would be a "coc" in my child's life.
You would think wrong. Try again. Start with how this warrants uprooting the child.

Last edited:

Proserpina

Nope.

Can you imagine how that would work if it were true?

Mom goes back to school and gets a Master's. Switch custody.

Dad goes back to school and gets HIS Master's. Switch again.

Dad loses job. Switch back to Mom.

That would be a nightmare. See Dad, this isn't about what's in yours or Mom's best interest - this is about your mutual child.

So please start by answering stealth's question.

LdiJ

Look at it this way, you would first have to prove a change in your child's circumstances to even remotely have a shot a changing custody, AND then you would have to prove to the judge that it was in the children's best interests to relocate them away from their mother.

Custodial parents win the right to relocate with children far less than 50% of the time. You think that you are going to win custody without a change in your children's circumstances AND permission to relocate them?

If so, you are living in fantasy land.

janM

"Full" custody, which is not that common, does NOT mean that the other parent loses visitation rights, or the right to challenge a move-away that might interfere with their parenting time.

Just Blue

Wow. No. A COC in an adult life does not equate to a COC in a kids life. Unless the Adult had decided to assaults the child. Then that would be a COC in both lives.:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">