• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting tax refund for back support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lzlxan

I live in Indiana, but my child support order was entered in Illinois. My Ex husband owes me $5990.00 in back support. I have heard that I may be entitled to his Income Tax Refund. I do not want to use Illinos Department of Public Aid or a legal firm. Is there another route? I would like to do this on my own at very little cost.

VeronicaGia

If you want 2003's return you can start working on it now, but it is likely too late for 2002's money. Notices are sent from the IRS in August or September for those.

Is Illinois collecting support from your ex for you? If so, you can ask them to help you. Are there welfare arrears? If there are, he may already have his return slated to go to them, and there's nothing you can do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">