• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Giving my SS# to CP for child's SS Card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

X

xesbrick

What is the name of your state? TN/GA

I have been proven to be the father of a child via DNA tests I arranged for and paid (not by the courts). Supposedly the mother and I are trying to keep this out of court. I live states away from her where she is taking care of the child. I go to visit when I can and send checks in the mail (I have copies).

My question is:

She has faxed me over the application for the child's SS#. The application asks for my name and SS#. The mother claims it is only needed for emergency purposes. I am hesitant to give it to her since the government will have record of it if they decide to go after me for child support (or she surprisingly decides to). The child is still on state insurance since my employers health plan's network of doctors is only where I currently live now (not where the child resides). In a few month when I go out into the field for sales I will be on a different network the is nationwide. I can put the child on it then as he will be covered where he lives.

Should I be hesitant to give my SS# to her?

Thanks!

Charleee

I wouldn't give my SSN to anyone and if I were you, I'd call the SS Adminstration to ask what the requirements are for this child to be assigned a SSN.

H

hbriggs007

If she does decide to file for CS, you'll be served papers informing you of this and you'll be expected to show up in court, in her state by the way. All she really has to know is your place of employment for them to start garnishing CS from your pay check....she doesn't have to know your social for that.

Do you even pay CS?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Normally, the hospital gets all the needed info and files the SSN paperwork at birth. How old is the child?

M

monnickasmommy

I would not give her you ssn - reason - you quite paying for some reason , you hide, disapear or what ever you can be found with your ssn, My husband had his ex and we found her !!

If I where you I would go to a DES office and file for CS- Like I told another thread- If she was to ever take you to court for cs you may have canceled checks, but the courts may concider them as gifts.

If you write check in the memo put- Child Support

tammy8

SS# show up anywhere. My DH's cs papers show both the numbers of both parents. Maybe it is different in some states but here in NC both sets of numbers show up on final order.

PS A SS3 is unforunately very easy to find. I could bet you anything if I had a good address, name and dob I could find anyone out here!

M

monnickasmommy

When my husband did his first modification when our first son was born we asked the Courts to cross off our son's ss# because that was none of his ex wifes business.

Your SS# can be on court papers - However you can request them not to be shown to protect you incase of Id thieft-

Where we live Id thieft is very common and fast you have to shread your trash any more .

I would still not give it to her - if she really needs it let her take you to court

X

xesbrick

Well, I think I've decided to give it to her. Right now I'm trying not to tick her off and keep it out of court. If I don't give it to her she'll get ticked off and take me to court anyway. If I give it to her now and cooperate with her I'm sure I'll look better in the court's eyes if I do end up there. She claims that the reason I need to be on the child's SS card is for me to pick him up at school, etc. I need to be on it. I talked to her tonight and she is adamant that I give it to her. Not too happy with the way I'm acting. Who knows. This is all a majorly messed up situation. I'm tight roping these days to keep it out of court. To the one responder, yes I am paying money to her currently. Just not the $600-$700 she'd be getting through the courts. If I was, the only thing I'd be worried about is where my next meal is coming from.

Whyte Noise

There's a couple of things about your post that sent up red flags for me....

#1... "The child is still on state insurance"... If this is so, then the state can coome after you to pay back those benefits, whether or not SHE takes you to court for a CS order or not.

#2... "The mother claims it is only needed for emergency purposes"... Uhh... NO, it's not. A SSN application does ask for the name and SSN of the mother and father of the applicant. That's standard.

#3... "She claims that the reason I need to be on the child's SS card is for me to pick him up at school, etc." Again, Uhhh... NO. No one's name is on a SS card except for the person to whom the card is issued. That's it. None of my 3 children have MY name anywhere on their SS cards. You don't "need" to be on it, because no one but your CHILD's name will be on it.

So, which excuse is really her truth? It's needed just for "emergency purposes"? Or, that you need to be on it to pick him up at school.

Something smells rotten in Denmark, and it ain't the halibut. Your name is nowhere on your child's card, and you have to be on the school pick-up list to pick the child up, NOT anything to do with a SS card. I dunno why she's telling you this crap, because it just ain't true.

My question is... if she's worried about you "being on the SS card" in order to pick the child up from school, why doesn't this child already have a SSN? He'd have to be at least 3 or 4 to currently be in school. And as far back as 1992 when my first child was born (in GA), the hospital automatically did the application for the SS card before I ever even left the hospital after giving birth.

L

Lil Miss Smarty Panties

My first child was born in 1983. The hospital took my info there and filed for her SS#. Second child born in 1985, different state, same senario. My third child, born 2001, different state, same senario.

If I'm not mistaken the child you're talking about is an infant, correct? Why is she telling you she needs your SS# to put you on the childs SS card for school purposes? She's wanting your SS# for other reasons dude. I'd be watching the mail for child support papers.

haiku

You know, as far as I knew (not that I know much LOL) As far back as when I had my first child, a child HAD to have an SS# for IRS purposes if you were planning on taking the child as a deduction. the paperwork is given to you in hospital as part of the whole paternity, birth certificate package.

Also if this kid is on state, they have to have one already to recieve benefits. (FYI-if no ins. is available to kid through either parent, it won't need to be paid back. medical benefits only are only subject to pay back in cases of fraud, as all states offer it to children who qualify financially who have no ins.)

only one parent needs to provide a number to apply. and once that card is applied for that info is never needed again. (I did not have to know my parents numbers to get a new card when I lost mine or changed my name)

it is possible, if your state is like mine and you are already listed on the kids birth certificate, she might have access to it already, but you don't need to point that out to her.

a school may need the kids # for governmental purpose, but they don't have a right to yours unless you are applying for a government program of some kind.

X

xesbrick

All,

Sorry for any confusion. For one the child is an infant. It was born just over a month ago. The mother has legally changed her name since the child was born. Thus, she is changing the childs last name along with it. I am not on the birth certificate currently because I do not know how things are going to work out and how involved I will be. As far as her saying my number would have to be on file for me to pick him up at school......that is just a hypothetical situation. The child is obviously not old enough to go to school yet. I just got off the phone and gave my number to her. As I had said earlier, if I hadn't given it to her I would have really ticked her off and I'm sure she'd initiate CS against me. Oh well, maybe it's best this goes to the court. Everything will be straightened out and I won't always have to worry when and if she is taking me to court. Financially I'll be ruined but what can I say.

Thanks All.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
"I am not on the birth certificate currently because I do not know how things are going to work out and how involved I will be."

Huh? Don't you intend to be an involved father?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">