• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Godmother Temp/perm custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bluehorse1983

What is the name of your state? SD but case is in FL

One of my friends that I was appointed godmother of her 1 yr old twin girls has gotten into a pickle. She lives in FL and I moved back to SD to finish school. Her boyfriend the father of the children has been accused of child abuse...Accused but can't be proven. The mother's sister was living with them and she went to jail for neglect and her son is in Foster care now. The twins are with a friend because my friend the mother does not fear the father who is up for child abuse. They go to court on the 25th and she doesn't know for what exactly. The friend approved by DCF to watch them has school and can no longer watch them. From what I understand is that the friend watching the children and the babysitter for her schooling days which is someone I know....Stated that the mother is not showing intrest and taking care of the children when she is allowed to see them when the DCF approved sitter is there. She has neglected/postpone getting needed medication and these children are getting sicker. My friend the babysitter is not watching them after the court date and the DCF approved sitter most liklely isn't eiether. I do not want these children in foster care. I love them too much.
My question is Can I, a godmother, get custody of the children in SD. When their mother lives in FL? Also will the court grant custody to the father's sister who lives in tennesse? and would she be aprroved over me? I am single but willing to marry my fiancee sooner for them. I own my own home and we take in 3400.00 a mo. What can I do know to speed up the process if it comes down to custody rights?

Shay-Pari'e

bluehorse1983 said:
What is the name of your state? SD but case is in FL

One of my friends that I was appointed godmother of her 1 yr old twin girls has gotten into a pickle. She lives in FL and I moved back to SD to finish school. Her boyfriend the father of the children has been accused of child abuse...Accused but can't be proven. The mother's sister was living with them and she went to jail for neglect and her son is in Foster care now. The twins are with a friend because my friend the mother does not fear the father who is up for child abuse. They go to court on the 25th and she doesn't know for what exactly. The friend approved by DCF to watch them has school and can no longer watch them. From what I understand is that the friend watching the children and the babysitter for her schooling days which is someone I know....Stated that the mother is not showing intrest and taking care of the children when she is allowed to see them when the DCF approved sitter is there. She has neglected/postpone getting needed medication and these children are getting sicker. My friend the babysitter is not watching them after the court date and the DCF approved sitter most liklely isn't eiether. I do not want these children in foster care. I love them too much.
My question is Can I, a godmother, get custody of the children in SD. When their mother lives in FL? Also will the court grant custody to the father's sister who lives in tennesse? and would she be aprroved over me? I am single but willing to marry my fiancee sooner for them. I own my own home and we take in 3400.00 a mo. What can I do know to speed up the process if it comes down to custody rights?
You have a shot at at least getting Temp custody. What have you done to persue this in the courts?

LdiJ

--PARIDISE-- said:
You have a shot at at least getting Temp custody. What have you done to persue this in the courts?
I am not sure that is possible. She is a non-relative, living out of state. I am not sure that DFS (who seems to be in control here) would approve that.

B

bradybunchmom

sorry you have no rights

im sorry,but you have no legal rights to the kids.a godparent is a religious relationship, not a legal one. theres nothing you can do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">