• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Godparents rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cimbarnett

I would have to say it doesn't matter if you have blood or not the child is going to be placed with whomever is more fit if it comes down to a stranger and you if you both are equally fit i believe the judge is going to go for you , whom the child has bonded with. The issuse isn't weather we think the letter you have is legal, the child will go to whom ever is more fit even if it was legal it only matters who is fit. hope that helps.

mgmkitty

Where to start..

bigpoppa - if you don't have an opinion to share, mind your own damn business.

cimbarnett - thanks for the advice...my lawyer also told me a similar thing..I am more secure than the blood family my goddaughter has, and they wouldn't take her anyway. Thanks for staying on subject and giving me the second opinion I was looking for.

manda2020 - thanks for the article. I was looking for relevant articles, etc. on the subject. Thanks again.

iaal - I am not an idiot. I'm not going to listen to just anyone on this subject. All I was trying to do is get a second opinion. I think I'm more likely to believe the info that my lawyer has given me in person than someone who I haven't met who claims to be a lawyer. As far as my "mistaken belief" you don't know what kind of paperwork I have. It was not a "Baptismal Certificate" stating I'd get custody. And it's not a will. You obviously don't have godchildren or a godparent yourself. I do. I know how this works. I know that if something happened, I don't automatically get custody! BUT, I also know that blood is NOT all the courts look at. My goddaughter and I are very close. To the point sometimes she calls ME mommy. I know I'd have a shot..
And as far as my other goddaughter, in the event of my friend's death, there is literally NO family she could go to. I'm all there is, and her dead beat dad is just that. There would be no question that I'd gain custody of her.

J

JoandJa'smom

The answer to your question is if the father doesn't try to come and claim the child if the mom dies that you could try and get gaurdianship over the child and then possilby adopt. It is possible for you to get the child, but not certain.

JoandJa'smom

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mgmkitty said:
Where to start..

bigpoppa - if you don't have an opinion to share, mind your own damn business.

cimbarnett - thanks for the advice...my lawyer also told me a similar thing..I am more secure than the blood family my goddaughter has, and they wouldn't take her anyway. Thanks for staying on subject and giving me the second opinion I was looking for.

manda2020 - thanks for the article. I was looking for relevant articles, etc. on the subject. Thanks again.

iaal - I am not an idiot. I'm not going to listen to just anyone on this subject. All I was trying to do is get a second opinion. I think I'm more likely to believe the info that my lawyer has given me in person than someone who I haven't met who claims to be a lawyer. As far as my "mistaken belief" you don't know what kind of paperwork I have. It was not a "Baptismal Certificate" stating I'd get custody. And it's not a will. You obviously don't have godchildren or a godparent yourself. I do. I know how this works. I know that if something happened, I don't automatically get custody! BUT, I also know that blood is NOT all the courts look at. My goddaughter and I are very close. To the point sometimes she calls ME mommy. I know I'd have a shot..
And as far as my other goddaughter, in the event of my friend's death, there is literally NO family she could go to. I'm all there is, and her dead beat dad is just that. There would be no question that I'd gain custody of her.

==========================================

My response:

You said, "I received papers stating in the event of my friend's death, I would get custody of her daughter."

Then you said, "you don't know what kind of paperwork I have."

Then you said, "I know how this works. I know that if something happened, I don't automatically get custody!"

Were you confused before, or are you confused now?

What "kind of paperwork" do you have, and what does it say?

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">