• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Going out of country for vacation w/o ex's permission for my daughter?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dropyo

We live in Maryland.

I have planned a trip to Europe with myself and my daughter in the near future. During the planning of this trip, I was told that I need to have her father sign a permission slip that may be asked for by customs that in effect says I have his permission to take her. In our custodial agreement, there is nothing about travel overseas.

Prior to booking the trip, I told my daughter's father about this (we are unmarried) and he said that was fine. I have financed this trip completely myself, and have no expectations of any financial support for this trip from my daughter's father.

Due to my ex not getting his way on other topics (read: child support), he is now refusing to sign the paper that says I can take her. What I want to know is the following:

1) What happens if I go without the paper being signed? Do I really even need one?
2) Is there any other way to get the permission through the legal system?
3) What exactly do they do at customs with respect to this paper?

The child is 12 years old if that has any impact on things. When my daughter has asked her father why he refuses to let her go he tells her "it's a conversation for grown-ups" and will not answer any questions.

Silverplum

We live in Maryland.

I have planned a trip to Europe with myself and my daughter in the near future. During the planning of this trip, I was told that I need to have her father sign a permission slip that may be asked for by customs that in effect says I have his permission to take her. In our custodial agreement, there is nothing about travel overseas.

Prior to booking the trip, I told my daughter's father about this (we are unmarried) and he said that was fine. I have financed this trip completely myself, and have no expectations of any financial support for this trip from my daughter's father.

Due to my ex not getting his way on other topics (read: child support), he is now refusing to sign the paper that says I can take her. What I want to know is the following:

1) What happens if I go without the paper being signed? Do I really even need one?

The child is 12 years old if that has any impact on things. When my daughter has asked her father why he refuses to let her go he tells her "it's a conversation for grown-ups" and will not answer any questions.
RE: the bolded -- Smart Dad! :)

CSO286

HAve you obtained a passport for the child yet?
Dad will need to give his consent in order to obtain one.

Proserpina

We live in Maryland.

(Yes, frankly, that's a smart Dad!)

1. You're likely not going to be leaving the country. (Well..YOU can, but your daughter won't)

2. You can absolutely go to court and request the court order Dad to not only sign for the passport, but give consent. Whether your request will be granted depends on many things.

3. They make sure the parent isn't trying to abscond/remove the child without the other legal parent's permission. If you are allowed to leave the country, once you get to the other country there is a chance you will not be able to enter without some sort of documentation.

OP, quite honestly, you messed up a little here.

You should have gotten it IN WRITING before you bought the tickets.

Still, it's not a lost cause. Time to go to court.

mistoffolees

(Yes, frankly, that's a smart Dad!)

1. You're likely not going to be leaving the country. (Well..YOU can, but your daughter won't)

2. You can absolutely go to court and request the court order Dad to not only sign for the passport, but give consent. Whether your request will be granted depends on many things.

3. They make sure the parent isn't trying to abscond/remove the child without the other legal parent's permission. If you are allowed to leave the country, once you get to the other country there is a chance you will not be able to enter without some sort of documentation.

OP, quite honestly, you messed up a little here.

You should have gotten it IN WRITING before you bought the tickets.

Still, it's not a lost cause. Time to go to court.
She should also have had all the details in place before telling the daughter....

dropyo

To answer the questions that have been posed...

Yes, she already has a passport, and I have possession of it. We have joint legal custody.

I don't think anyone has really attempted to answer any of my 3 questions, would appreciate it if they could.

TinkerBelleLuvr

If dad verbally agrees to the travels and mom then proceeds to say something to the child, why is MOM in the wrong now. Dad agreed; mom's mistake was not getting it in writing.

I would file in court NOW to get permission to go on vacation.

Proserpina

Yes, she already has a passport, and I have possession of it. We have joint legal custody.

I don't think anyone has really attempted to answer any of my 3 questions, would appreciate it if they could.

Did you not read my response?

You have joint legal custody - hence you NEED his permission to take kiddo out of the country.

If you don't have his permission, expect NOT to be able to leave. Well - you can leave, but your daughter cannot.

majomom1

Uh... yeah they did. See post #4. OP, if you try and leave the country without this permission from Dad you could find yourself in some very hot legal water.

You need to sit down with Dad and get it ironed out, or don't go.

Proserpina

If dad verbally agrees to the travels and mom then proceeds to say something to the child, why is MOM in the wrong now. Dad agreed; mom's mistake was not getting it in writing.

Because she needed to make sure ALL of those "t"s were crossed, and those "i"s dotted, before mentioning it. Mom knew she had joint legal...

In my humble opinion.

I would file in court NOW to get permission to go on vacation.

That's what I suggested ;)

TinkerBelleLuvr

I went to court to get it that I had permission to leave the country. It is spelled out in black and white on who has to give permission and in what time frames.

If dad doesn't sign, I file for contempt very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">