• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

grandparent and other family rights after mother's death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

michelleskids

What is the name of your state? Missouri
My sister died in 1999 leaving her 3 kids (ages 5, and the twins 3)and husband behind. The husband has custody of the kids, but his mother has control of him and the kids. My sister's dying request was to not let her mother-in-law raise the kids because she is evil and deceitful. Well, she is raising them. This is by the husband's choice. He does not allow us to see the kids but once every 4 or 5 months. We are not invited to anything involving the kids either. We have fought and argued to see the kids. It is gettign worse as time goes by. They only live 25-30 min away. We are not invited to visit them in their home. His mother is controlling this and he is going along with it because of financial reasons. There isn't any reason as to why we can't see the kids other than his mother says no. Our family is very typical. We are not trash, we don't drink or do drugs, very down to earth and we all live in very decent homes. Is there any legal ground as to getting regular visits with the children without his mother controlling the kids and his every move? Of course I would like to know if this would cost us an arm and a leg to do. It is breaking our hearts to not see the kids after everything that happened with my sister. Any Advice?

Grace_Adler

I don't believe that technically anyone has a right to file for visitation but I could be wrong. Maybe you could consult with an attorney and see if it's possible.

Another option is, if one of your parents are still alive, you could go to a search engine and look up MO laws regarding grandparent's rights or visitation rights. It may be possible MO will allow it since their child (the childrens' mother) is deceased. If it's possible they can go file and the rest of the family would be able to visit with them. If this happens, specific visitation dates and phone visitation should be included in the order.

C

craftymom

Copy and paste this into your browser, without the on each side: [url]http://www.moga.state.mo.us/statutes/C400-499/4520402.HTM

Number 2 is the one you want to look at. Best of luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">