• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparent Visitation Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fsrtech

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Mother dies, current wife adopts, and the parental rights of the deceased mother were terminated in the adoption proceedings.

Now the maternal grandmother files for GrandParent Visitation.

Files 1 month after the adoption had taken place.
Does not include the adopting parent in the filing as one of the Respondents.

Also refuses to release any of the childrens belongins, and important papers. i.e: SS Cards, B-Certs, Pics of their mother -- NOTHING!!

My understanding is the grandparents loose all rights once the mothers parental rights were taken.

Any law on this in Tennessee?
And what must I do to obtain my childrens belongins??

And this issue is deep and if anyone wants to know more and can assist me please e-mail me [email protected]

THANKS!!

Last edited:

nextwife

My husband was adopted by his stepdad years after the death of his dad. That in no way caused his mom or new dad to presume he would not want to maintain a connection with his dad's family. His dad died, he didn't abandon him!

He and his paternal cousin are still very close.

Goodness, this grandmother lost her child. I can understand why she would not now with to lose her grandchild.

kidoday

Grandparent Issues: Tennessee

Grandparent Rights to Visitation: Visitation may be granted upon a finding by the court that the visitation is in the child's best interest. Title 36, Section 36-6-301 (T.C.A. §36-6-301).

When Adoption Occurs: Visitation rights terminate upon adoption unless the adoption is by a stepparent or other relative of the child.

Child Custody Statutes: Best interest of child "as the welfare and interest of the child or children may demand." T.C.A. §36-6-101 et seq.

Parents May Choose: Yes

F

fsrtech

This is totally different. And I can asure you I wouldn't want this to happen to loving and careing grandparents anywhere.

This case is dealing with people who can care less about the children and do it all out of spite. Didn't even care about their own daughter (The deceased), and the step-grandfather has been accused by one daughter (not mine) of sexual abuse.

Now, I offered visitation to these people where I am present during - no takers on it, no phone calls to me or the kids. Have offered visitation to the half bothers/sisters - no takers from their parents. So, you tell me. Whould you want to place your child in harms way?? I DO NOT!! I can't stand the thought of sending my little girl off to a place she may be sexuall abused ( if it hasn't happened already before the death of their mother ). Also the half sister that claimed the abuse by the step-grandfather had been sexually abusing my son. So, NO, I don't want my children seeing them alone.

So, "next wife" the next time you make a comment to a post, remember you don't know all the facts!!

Last edited:
F

fsrtech

kidoday said:
Grandparent Issues: Tennessee

Grandparent Rights to Visitation: Visitation may be granted upon a finding by the court that the visitation is in the child's best interest. Title 36, Section 36-6-301 (T.C.A. §36-6-301).

When Adoption Occurs: Visitation rights terminate upon adoption unless the adoption is by a stepparent or other relative of the child.

Child Custody Statutes: Best interest of child "as the welfare and interest of the child or children may demand." T.C.A. §36-6-101 et seq.

Parents May Choose: Yes

This ( unless the adoption is by a stepparent ), does that mean it is terminated for grandparents?? And can they file after the adoption??

Thank you for your reply !

kidoday

The I take it only if the adoption was from a third party. Meaning either parent are not the biological parent. I believe since the adoption was the stepmother they have the legal right to file.

No one knows for sure how the judge will decide, but do you have legal proof that the abuse has been going on? Otherwise your claim without proof probably won't be enough to ward off the visitation.

haiku

fsrtech said:
This is totally different. And I can asure you I wouldn't want this to happen to loving and careing grandparents anywhere.

This case is dealing with people who can care less about the children and do it all out of spite. Didn't even care about their own daughter (The deceased), and the step-grandfather has been accused by one daughter (not mine) of sexual abuse.

Now, I offered visitation to these people where I am present during - no takers on it, no phone calls to me or the kids. Have offered visitation to the half bothers/sisters - no takers from their parents. So, you tell me. Whould you want to place your child in harms way?? I DO NOT!! I can't stand the thought of sending my little girl off to a place she may be sexuall abused ( if it hasn't happened already before the death of their mother ). Also the half sister that claimed the abuse by the step-grandfather had been sexually abusing my son. So, NO, I don't want my children seeing them alone.

So, "next wife" the next time you make a comment to a post, remember you don't know all the facts!!
when you post on a message board it is VITAL you post ALL the facts FIRST post.

you did not do this. I read it the same way nextwife did, and I also could not understand the reasoning behind the deadwifes family losing thier rights only based on thier daughter being dead.

if you reread your post you will see how "cold" your first posting is, without the relevant fact the family had a history of abuse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">