• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

grandparents rights in north carolina

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

madaunt

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
my younger sister is refusing to let my mother and the rest of our family see her son, she is only 16 years old and is brainwashed by her boyfriend. is there anything my mother can do to at least get visitation of her grandson.

Grace_Adler

§ 50-13.2. Who entitled to custody; terms of custody;
visitation rights of grandparents; taking child out of
State.

(b1)An order for custody of a minor child may provide
visitation rights for any grandparent of the child as the court,
in its discretion, deems appropriate. As used in this
subsection, "grandparent" includes a biological grandparent of a
child adopted by a stepparent or a relative of the child where a
substantial relationship exists between the grandparent and the
child. Under no circumstances shall a biological grandparent of
a child adopted by adoptive parents, neither of whom is related
to the child and where parental rights of both biological
parents have been terminated, be entitled to visitation rights.

Also see http://www.grandparenting.org/Grandparent visitation.htm

It just depends on the factors listed here in the above link. Like whether she is married, if it is in the best interest of the child, ect. But yes, anyone can petition for visitation. Whether or not it is granted is another story. Like I said, they have to take in many considerations.

Bay1954

I don't have legal advice just advice from an old woman who has been there.
If your mother and you truly truly feel that the child is being physically harmed or neglected--i.e, if there is that kind of abuse, then I would take action.
However, if this is not the case, taking action will bring more harm than good. Once you sue (especially in citing harm when there is no harm--that child has a danger of being put into the system).
Be a friend to your sister. Do not be quick to judge her. Be patient. Suing (even if your mother can sue) rarely gets the results the petitioner expects or wants.
Again, just a few words from an old woman.
Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">