• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

grandparents and step grandchild and step grandchilds mother!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

meleahk1

florida. today my father was diagnosed with dementia (which may possibly turn out to be alzheimers) he has told us that he changed his will. and in that will he states that my children are to split 1/4 of a specific amount. my children are 3 of my own and one step child. my father says that my step son is not part of this, that he will leave a smaller amount to him separantly if anything at all, which is as it should be. he has only been a step grandchild for 2 years. my question is this: can my stepsons mother come after my childrens part of my fathers will left to them, should my father pass away before my stepson is 18, IF my father does not leave him anything specific? and does my father need to state specifically that he is only leaving this money to his biological grandchildren. it is his money and he can do as he pleases, and this i do know. but, my stepsons mother is really rather evil, and she would try. would there be a legal foot for her to stand on?

thanks so much.

[Edited by meleahk1 on 07-24-2001 at 07:14 PM]

shanney27

I really don't see how she could come after your children's money. That has nothing to do with her child or your husband at all. As far as your stepson's money(if any left to him, it could be set up into a trust for when he turns 18 and I would think that she could not touch it. If your dad leaves any money specifically to your husband maybe she could try??? But your assests are yours unless you have adopted her children which does not sound like the case.

I am not a lawyer this is purely my opinion on the subject from my own knowledge and experience with money hungry ex's (I have one too!:})

M

meleahk1

thanks for responding. and that is what i thought, but just wanted to be sure. my husbands ex is always after money any way she think she can get it. vendictive is putting her nicely.

my father is leaving no money to my husband, left him the boat but we put that in my name to keep her from it.

shanney27

That is a smart move. My husbands ex is like that too. She was pissed when a lawyer told her that she couldn't come after my income. They think anything he has acess too they should as well. My husband told her...well you could get remarried too, but she won't do that she would lose her Spousal Support! Don't worry about her. The fact is they will get all that they are legally entitled too period! I choose to spend my money on his children anyway, but she never gets her hands on it! Sorry to hear about your dad and good luck with your situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">