• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guardian ad litem???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dandamdan

What does "Guardian Ad Litem" mean? And why was it appointed to my in-laws(the mothers parents) without my consent or knowledge?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What does "Guardian Ad Litem" mean? And why was it appointed to my in-laws(the mothers parents) without my consent or knowledge?
Google is your friend.

And w/o any information? How are we supposed to figure out why one was ordered? I'd guess because one or both of you are jerks.

LdiJ

The in laws may have requested the guardian ad litem but the GAL was not appointed to them, it was appointed to the child. The Guardian ad Litem helps the judge determine the best interests of the child.

single317dad

In some states, a GAL, Law Guardian, or similar is now appointed as a matter of course in all custody cases. Most leave it to the judge's discretion, and some judges appoint GALs for nearly all cases, while others only do so in specific circumstances. You did not provide the name of your state, so I cannot present any laws regarding the matter.

In any case, the GAL is not "appointed to your in-laws"; a GAL's purpose is to investigate and testify to the court in an unbiased manner regarding the child's best interests.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">